Thoughts on this non-compete clause? Does it sound like it will only limit me to speciality? Or to working as  PA in any speciality within a 35 mile radius?  I would like to have a lawyer review it - anyone in Minnesota who could suggest a good lawyer to review it?

"If either of us terminates your employment, you will not, for a period of twenty-four (24) months following the effective date of your termination, directly or indirectly engage in the practice or specialty in which you were engaged for Company at any place within a thirty-five (35) mile radius of any location where you practiced for Company

If you breach this agreement not to compete, you agree that Company will suffer irreparable harm and continuing damage for which there will be no adequate remedy at law. Therefore you agree that, regardless of the liquidated damages provision below, below, Company will have the right to seek injunctive relief from a court of competent jurisdiction for your breach or threatened breach, and you will pay all costs, including attorneys’ fees, incurred by Company in enforcing this agreement not to compete.

If you breach this agreement not to compete, you will be liable to Company for liquidated damages as follows: the greater of (a) One Hundred Thousand Dollars ($100,000); or (b) an amount equal to fifty percent (50%) of your Gross System Revenue for the twelve (12) months immediately preceding termination of your employment. For purposes of this provision, “Gross System Revenue” shall mean all of a provider’s directly billed professional revenue, plus all revenue to Company from imaging and laboratory services ordered by such provider, plus all revenue to Company from hospital and clinic services and supplies associated with such provider’s treatment of any patient. Payment of this sum will be to compensate Company for the injury it sustains because of your breach of this agreement. Because it is impossible to determine the exact cost or damage which Company may sustain by reason of such breach, this sum is agreed upon between the parties as liquidated damages, and not as a penalty."

A second read of this does actually open the door for "specialty" to be interpreted broadly, as in, "Physician Assistant".  I would seek some legal advice here.  35 miles and two years is pretty brutal. 

I really do get stealing away a panel of patients, but this seems pretty overboard.

That's ridiculous, IMO.

So you quit your job, even on good terms with your employer, and aren't able to work near your town for 2 years? Whether it means PA or specialty PA, it's BS.

I don't have a lawyer recommendation. Just my outrage.

Guest ral

Tell them to cram it up their cram hole.  Seriously. 

I literally laughed at the CEO of a group of clinics, over the phone one day, when I called to discuss the contract he had mailed me, after I had met with the clinic manager about a position.  It had a 24 month/25 mile non-compete clause (I forget the penalty $).  I asked him point blank if he honestly felt I would sign something as ridiculous as to exclude myself from working in the town where I was paying a mortgage on my house, where my wife worked, and where my children went to school.  When he told me he would not take the non-compete out, I laughed, told him "Good luck with that.", then hung up.  

Effing idiots.  

“If either party...”

so they can fire you without cause and you can’t practice in their area of specialty?!? I feel like it’s one thing to have a no compete restricting if you left, but if they are firing you the no compete clause is extra ridiculous

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By mclipperton
      Hi Everyone!
      New grad currently negotiating part-time PA position in Family Practice. I've done clinical rotations and scribed at a Family Practice office in NYC and will be working part-time until I start a Residency program in the fall. Trying to figure out what I should expect in a part-time contract if anything in terms of benefits, PTO, CME, etc. Also, trying to discern if it is in my best interest to be a part-time employee or 1099. 
      Thanks in advance!
    • By Echo29
      Hi All!
      Looking for some thoughts on an urgent care offer in northern NJ.
      Multi specialty practice based urgent care. Mix of acuity. We can get stat CTs.
      $64/hr = 133120 per year
      Hourly not salary
      160 hours PTO
      0 hours CME days
      $1500 CME
      Mix between 12hr (week day 8A-8P) and 9hr (8A-5P) shifts
      4% match 401k
      5% annual bonus
      Approx 20-30 patient's per day
      I have  5 years experience as a PA
      Thanks in advance!

~E
    • By azups94
      Hello all, 
      Recent new graduate here. I just received an offer from a small private, moderately paced urgent care/primary care office and I have a few questions about some items in my contract. Not sure if the items are reasonable for PAs in my area and looking to get some feedbacks from actual PAs in practice rather than just my parents. Here are a few details of my contract:
      - 18 month contract with required 90 days written notice of termination
      - 96K salary with bump after completing "training CME" courses paid for by the practice. 17 weeks to complete the courses and salary will increase to 101K
      - Productivity bonuses based on wRVUs and charts completed and coded within 48 hours
      - PTO accrued based on time worked. Begin accruing PTO 1 month after completing 90 day introductory period. PTO is to be used for PERSONAL DAYS, SICK DAYS, and VACATION time. (contract states that in first 0-3 years I can accumulate up to 100 hrs/2.5 weeks PTO)
      - Non-compete clause during employment and 12 months after termination. Cannot engage in primary, multi-specialty, urgent care offering similar services within a 2 mile radius of any clinics. (This can be kind of limiting for me due to the central location of the clinics in the city - I am considering a negotiation for this to be removed or possibly brought down to 1 mile)
      - Still need clarification of type of malpractice insurance, but it is offered. (Not sure if I will require tail coverage yet but will be finding out)
      - Multiple Heath insurance policies available but not covered 100% by practice. Most expensive policy will cost $162 Bi-weekly for employee coverage (No additional spouse or family coverage)

Additionally, I have a few concerns about orientation and training on site. Currently, both clinics have single provider coverage with experienced NPs. Will be asking tomorrow about my expectations for providing single-provider coverage and working on my own. Was told by employed NP that the providers at both clinics are in constant communication via phone and text. Also assures me that the Medical Director is often on site and always quickly answers phone calls and texts. Medical director seems very eager to teach but I still have concerns about his expectations for me as a new grad due to his experience with mainly experienced NPs. 
      ALSO, the salary is VERY tempting and I don't want to be blinded..
      Thank you all for any help or feedback you can give!
    • By jbm14
      Hello everyone, 
      I work at a rural hospital in orthopedic surgery. I recently met with my employer’s director of clinical operations to discuss my productivity. In my second contract (signed this summer) it states that there will be a bonus of $25 for every wRVU over 2350. Last year as a new graduate I produced somewhere around 4300. During the meeting with the director I was given a statement of practice operations stating my current RVUs, charges, etc with the statement that the “fee modifying deduction” has not yet been added to the RVU total. He states that I will receive 25% of the surgeon’s RVUs for each billable surgery. That makes sense, however, they are wanting to give me 85% of my own clinic RVUs. Does anyone else have any experience with these kind of deductions in regards to their bonus payout? I know the conversion factor of $25 is already pretty low, so are they trying to avoid paying me with these deductions? There is nothing in my contract regarding these deductions.

Thanks in advance.
    • By cc779
      Hello! 
      I am a PA located in Los Angeles, CA with a little over a year of outpatient primary care experience. I'm looking into transitioning out of primary care and into hospital medicine. I was offered an opportunity to join an internal medicine/nephrology group and start with hospital rounding 2 weekends/month covering 2-3 hospitals (average 10-20 patients). The pay would be $15 per Follow Up Visit and $25 per New Patient Consult or H & P.   Is this fair pay for a PA with my experience/background?  I currently get paid a base salary of 100K working 8 hours/day, 5 days/week, average 3 patients/hour. Inpatient medicine will be new for me. They offer training and physician supervision. Any insight appreciated. Thank you!

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More