Renew National EMS Cert?

Hi All,

I will be starting school this summer and am wondering if it's worthwhile to renew my national cert. My NJ state certification is good for another 5 years, but my NREMT will run out next month. I have already completed what I would need to renew so part of me feels like, why not just do it. But I don't know if it will be useful when I start school, especially since I will be attending school in NJ (and would be covered by the state cert). I appreciate any insight you can provide.

Thanks!

Thanks for your reply. I might need to clarify though. I've already been accepted and have chosen the PA program I will be attending in the summer. I am just wondering if having a national cert will be useful at all once school starts and/or once I graduate. The NJ cert will be good past graduation, but I might not be in NJ once I am done with school. so I guess the question is, is there a benefit to having an NREMT cert as a PA/PA student. Thanks!

the only reason to keep an emt-basic cert would be if you ever want to do the 2 week pa/emt to paramedic bridge program at creighton. they allow experienced pa's with an emt basic cert to do a 2 week course then test for NREMTP. costs a few thousand dollars and must be done on site in nebraska.

intermeidates and medics have more "street cred" if working as pa's in em so I generally advise them to keep their certs for that reason as well as the ability to to teach at medic programs.

I agree with everyone! Do it. You already have your hours to recertify. Why not do it. You put that work into it! I start school this summer and will keep my medic current. We've put a lot of work and time into the EMS cert no matter if it's basic, intermediate, or medic. Just do it and enjoy the freedom you have before school starts.

I would go ahead and keep your registry current. Much of what you need for hours you would get in school. Keep it. It is something you could fall back on

Wait, what? Our class hours count towards re-cert? Well, that is good to know! Thanks for sharing. I wouldn't even have thought of it.

Copied and pasted from the NREMT Paramedic recert instructions:

Hour for hour credit can be applied for college courses that relate to your role as an EMS professional (for example, but not limited to, anatomy, physiology, biology, chemistry, pharmacology, psychology, sociology, statistics, etc.)

This applies only to the 'additonal CME' category, not the 'refresher course' category....but it's easy enough to hit most of that by keeping ACLS/PALS/NRP/ATLS up to date.

• Administrator

The things I hate most about NREMT recerts are...

1) Timing. Every 2 years, really? Washington and Oregon run on 3 year cycles, which leads to...

2) OTEP-agnostic. This is just inexcusably stupid--I do everything required for two different states (see point 1, above) and yet I still have to shoehorn things into their categories

3) Online... sorta? You can renew your NREMT online if and only if your agency (or agencies), in states that don't require NREMT certification, have jumped through all the hoops necessary to set themselves up as NREMT agencies.

Still, having said all that, I will probably be renewing again next month. Wish it were easier and less frequent, but whatever.

Thanks for the tips, everyone. You guys are right. I put the work in and did the refresher class (for NJ), I may as well finish it up. Rev Ronin, you're spot on. It's a bit of a pain, especially since I'm in a state that doesn't require NREMT. I'm either going to have to try and get my squad cpt to start jumping or I'll just fill out the recert paperwork. Do you know what a squad has to do to become an agency? is it just a matter of making a call or filling out a few forms? I imagine it can't be that simple.

Archived