Turned DOWN by SP when asked for productivity summary

My message to my SP and HR:

"As I approach my 1 year Anniversary mark, I am curious to see how much I've grown thus far. I've read that a great way to measure my development is by tracking my level of productivity. Many of my peers, particularly in Dermatology report receiving either monthly or quarterly summaries of this information directly from thier Supervising Physicians or from HR. I am also aware that EMA (our EMR system) is cabable of providing this data as long as I am allowed access (I am currently restricted). As a new grad, it would be nice to know how financially productive (if at all) I've been. 

Would you mind providing me with this summary report OR lifting my restrictions via Mod medicine so that the analytics are readily accessible?"

Here's the response:

"You are valued member of my team. You have full access to your patient counts. It has not been nor have I worked in a practice where standard business practice to share financials with a new provider.

Your patient counts and how many weeks out a provider is booking are key metrics to any providers success."

My reaction 

Prepare to leave after 1 year is reached and join a practice that "values" me enough to make sharing my billings and collections data "standard business practice".

It is not standard practice is most situations to share this information.  However, if you are ever based on a productivity bonus/percentage of collections then you must be provided with all the figures.  I worked PRN for an urgent care that paid a percentage of the days collections as a bonus, but then refused to share the figures with me.  I quit on the spot.  Most employers don't want you to see how much money they make off of you. 

Pay is based on this information or you are a partner = definitely your business. 

Pay not based on this info = not at all. I'd have been surprised if this was provided. 

Best play is to take the patient counts information and say thank you, that is what I was looking for.  Unless I am gravely mistaken, and this happens a lot, there may be an internal debate as to your intentions at 1 year and whether your plans are to start putting the arm on them for a lot more money.  Which is really kind of what you have told them.  

My $0.02, not based on productivity.

7 hours ago, MrsPA2u said:

Thanks so much for the feedback thus far. I failed to mention that I am paid base salary + percentage (which is how most Dermatology PA salaries are structured). Hence the reason why I feel I need to know my billings and collections summary. 

If based on a percentage of your collections then you for sure should have access to the figures.  They should provide you with a detailed calculation of how they came up with the dollar amount. 

In that case, I agree with the above, but I might be tempted to wait a year before you jack them up for transparency.  You will have more leverage in all sorts of ways.  And with your patient count information, you should be able to get really close just estimating. 

I was given a very similar statement from our CFO. I work at a multi-specialty clinic and apparently none of the mid-lvls are allowed to see their net collections. They will only provide us with a WRVU monthly review, which in my opinion doesn't show the true value of what I do in dermatology.

This is just one of many flaws I've discovered while working at my current practice. The other issue is providing two full-time assistants for the medical doctors and none for the mid-lvls. I find this very insulting to our PA profession, since I have a full patient load and do all of the same procedures now. 

Archived