PA Student with Legal Problem

Hello, I'm writing a post that I was hoping I wouldn't have to write, but I am here seeking advice. I understand there are strong opinions about the topic, but I hope that those who choose to reply will do so because of a desire to help. 

I am currently a first year PA student, and about six months before starting my program I made a terrible decision and was subsequently charged with a DUI; it appears now that the charge will become a conviction (I hired a lawyer in the hopes of having the charge reduced, though I was completely willing to submit to the same punishments as a DUI if the DUI itself wasn't placed on my record). I had a break before PA school (after having been accepted -- and my school is aware of the situation) and made a really bad decision after a night out. I don't drink often, and this likely played a role. I understand how selfish and irresponsible my decision was, and I assure you, I am paying for my mistake. I am ashamed of my decision and take full responsibility for my actions, but want to be clear that this incident is not indicative of my character; it was my first (and last) run in with the law. 

The purpose of starting a thread here is to ask for advice about how this may potentially affect me later with licensing and sitting for the PANCE. As I mentioned, I am already in PA school and am performing well, so licensing is what worries me most since I don't want to slog through PA school just to find out I cannot get a license to practice in any state. I know that I can be a solid practitioner in future, but I worry about roadblocks due to this legal issue.

From what little I can find on the topic, it appears others have had similar issues before and have come out okay, but I don't know what specific details came into play with each case. I am here simply asking for advice from those who have experience with this type of issue (preferably PA-Cs who have navigated state licensure before, even better if they have first hand experience with having a conviction on their record or how the boards that control licensing approach these issues, but anyone who wants to help is welcome to reply). 

I'm not a PA but i read this and couldn't ignore it.

Here are screen shots of my attorney friend's numbers they specialize in dui cases if you want to call and ask advice about your future license, if they can't help maybe they know someone who can. You can msg me. 

Wish you well and hope you get the answer that works in your favor!

3F27B040-E601-48E5-B4DF-680B7DE293CE.png

570C6E31-C726-48AC-B517-7ECBD8CDA68E.jpeg

Hello, I'm writing a post that I was hoping I wouldn't have to write, but I am here seeking advice. I understand there are strong opinions about the topic, but I hope that those who choose to reply will do so because of a desire to help. 
I am currently a first year PA student, and about six months before starting my program I made a terrible decision and was subsequently charged with a DUI; it appears now that the charge will become a conviction (I hired a lawyer in the hopes of having the charge reduced, though I was completely willing to submit to the same punishments as a DUI if the DUI itself wasn't placed on my record). I had a break before PA school (after having been accepted -- and my school is aware of the situation) and made a really bad decision after a night out. I don't drink often, and this likely played a role. I understand how selfish and irresponsible my decision was, and I assure you, I am paying for my mistake. I am ashamed of my decision and take full responsibility for my actions, but want to be clear that this incident is not indicative of my character; it was my first (and last) run in with the law. 
The purpose of starting a thread here is to ask for advice about how this may potentially affect me later with licensing and sitting for the PANCE. As I mentioned, I am already in PA school and am performing well, so licensing is what worries me most since I don't want to slog through PA school just to find out I cannot get a license to practice in any state. I know that I can be a solid practitioner in future, but I worry about roadblocks due to this legal issue.
From what little I can find on the topic, it appears others have had similar issues before and have come out okay, but I don't know what specific details came into play with each case. I am here simply asking for advice from those who have experience with this type of issue (preferably PA-Cs who have navigated state licensure before, even better if they have first hand experience with having a conviction on their record or how the boards that control licensing approach these issues, but anyone who wants to help is welcome to reply). 
You'll probably want an attorney who specializes in medical license defense in the state you want to practice. If your program already knows, see if they can refer you. If not, Google "medical license defense in (state). You're in for a tricky road, but not impossible.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Christine and EmPA, thank you for your responses. I do plan on consulting with an attorney familiar with medical licensing in whichever state I choose to practice in as the time gets closer. I understand I am in for an uphill battle on this one, and it is somewhat discouraging. 

If anyone else has any other ideas on the situation (i.e. states that are more moderate on these types of issues) or that have experience with legal trouble prior to sitting for the PANCE and being licensed, please don't hesitate to respond or to message me. 

Thank you.

Archived