Local Tenum/Traveler PA's out there?

I work full time at a regular ED in the Midwest, recently the company that I work for expanded to another location which they required an "emergent need" and was offering $150/hr. I ended up working between my full time job and picking up part time work here, and by the end of the year, will have net over 200k (but I also was working 200+ hours a month). Now that the site has more more APPs, they have lowered the rate this month by half and while I will still continue to pick up hours at this part time place, I realized that I love being on the road, traveling, staying in a hotel, etc. I am single, 4 years of ED experience, and after doing the traveling gig the past year, want to pursue more into it. I'd like to make the same amount as I did this year, again hopefully next year as well -- but I am willing to to go those places that are in the most need (Iowa, Kansas, east coast). Has anyone heard of any companies/groups/agencies offering $100+ hourly rates in the US? I ask this because the local tenum docs talk about their hourly rates and it is an INSANE amount. Reviewing some of the past posts, it seems like a lot of the APPs were averaging $75-85/hr through local tenum and honestly feel like that's way too low for the amount of work we do in the ED (we basically do all the work for the docs). I met another PA who makes 200/hr when the need gets very bad at one site here in Ohio but she states that this happens twice/three times a month. 

Does anyone have any input on how to find these sites/needs that offer higher hourly rate? 

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

My FT ER gig is 5-6 24s/month, so I do quite a bit of moonlighting moreso then true locums, but it is done in the Midwest.  I generally stick to the solo gig rural shifts with annual volume at one facility of about 3k, another 6k, and another is just under 10k.  Most hospital systems and ER groups in this area are paying 85-95/hr for moonlighters, including my current facility.  My moonlighting is done through a locums company, 1099 (so I don't do any meals, miles, lodging, etc), and I am not taking anything under 90/hr and zero problem finding that.  Most work I do is 100/hr.  The ~10k/yr volume place is really truly a dangerous volume with its acuity (near a reservation, major highway, major tourist lake, major ATV/snowmobile trail) and the rate there is no less then $127.50/hr, but its hard earned money.  Last minute needs and holidays are usually 1.5-2x rate anywhere. 

I did hospitalist 7on/7off before moving into rural EM FT (at one point doing both jobs for 18 months), and now I won't do any hospitalist moonlighting under 85/hr, and that seems easy enough to find as well.

I did locums for a large system the Southwest and a small community ED in the Southeast and both paid $80/hr with on-site physician coverage. Both also paid housing but no per diem. There are definitely opportunities to be had, but I wonder if anyone is making over $100/hr except as solo coverage, although we are definitely underpaid as locums. I was making close to that at my last FT gig but it was in a higher cost of living market.

Archived