Social Services Director: HCE?

I am in a little conundrum and seeking some advice. I recently got my CNA license in August and have been working the last few weeks at a health/rehab facility. The facility only had me working part-time so I accepted a full time position somewhere else (night shift). The part-time facility understood why I wanted to leave and offered to put me on call. I accepted, but then they mentioned that they had an opening for the Social Services Director full time (they knew I had a B.A in psych and so asked if I was interested). I don't know any details about compensation but I am intrigued by the position.

However, based on the job description it doesn't appear that this will count for PCE. I do believe it would count for some very high quality HCE. Below is a job description. It involves working alongside the rest of the healthcare team (doctors, nurses, hospital staff, etc.) to deliver care to the patients. If I take the position, I would likely be unable to reach a high amount of PCE. (I currently have 150 hours or so in addition to ~200 HCE from hospital volunteering).

So it would probably close the door for PA, at least for a while. Thoughts?

Stats are: cGPA 3.4, sGPA 3.4, GRE 320, PCE ~150 hours and running, HCE ~200 hours.

Generates enthusiasm and cooperation from residents, staff, facility members and outside agencies.

• Develops and maintains good interpersonal relationships with residents, staff, family members, and outside agencies.

• Develops community resource file of services.

• Assists with inquiries for Social Services as needed, collects prior stay and general information.

• Evaluates each resident according to their background, interest, ability, physical limitation and needs for the purpose of planning and implementing a meaningful social services program. Interviews residents as well as family, friends, or responsible party. Reviews transfer forms and history and physicians for appropriate and accurate information.

• Assists in the provision of the medically-related social services to attain or maintain the highest practicable physical, mental and psychosocial well-being of each resident, including those services identified in F-250 of the SOM- see Social Service Policy Manual for these specific services.

• Initiates discharge planning on admission with 14-day and quarterly updates as needed.

• Completes discharge planning when indicated/ordered, including discharge plan of care.

• Assists HMOs, acute hospitals, case manager, etc., as needed and where appropriate.

• Completes initial social and emotional assessment of residents, as well as on a quarterly basis and documents any significant changes.

• Attends resident care plan conference and actively participates in creating a meaningful plan of care.

• Assists in development, review and implementation of residents’ discharge plan along with the Interdisciplinary (ID) Team. Reviews potential for discharge shortly after admission.

• Maintains membership in the Resident Care Policy Committee and the Utilization Review Committee.

• Facilitates any identified problems, e.g., dental visual, communication, etc. Assists with supplying a communication board or whatever tools necessary to ensure communication to make resident needs known.

• Coordinates regular family council meetings at least twice a year.

• Assists residents and families with death and dying issues. Along with ID Team, helps with decisions for Hospice. Assist with contact clergy, etc.

• Assists residents with financial needs if applicable, including Medi-Cal applications, banking, etc.

• Assists residents or responsible parties in processing forms or applications in the effort to obtain outside services. This includes but is not limited to Social Security, Medicaid, SSI or any other service to which the resident may be entitled.

• Maintains a file for theft and loss, with copies of concerns to the Administrator.

• Participates in the Quality Assurance Program.

• Ensures that residents receive psychosocial assessments at admission, upon condition change and/or annually.

• Directs and guides staff in conducting assessments and interventions.

• Creates, reviews and updates care plan and progress notes.

• Provides direct psychosocial intervention.

• Assists residents families in coping with skilled nursing placement, behavioral issues, physical illness, and disabilities of the resident, and the grieving process.

• Works with the patient, family and other team members to outline goals of stay at admission, the plan to meet those goals and discharge as appropriate.

• Conducts in-service programs to educate staff regarding psychosocial issues and patient rights.

• Helps residents and their families (in their social, racial, ethnic, and cultural context) cope with the immediate effects of the decision to move to the facility.

• Implements social service interventions that achieve treatment goals, address resident needs, link social supports, physical care and physical environment to enhance quality of life.

• Attends daily stand up, monthly QA, IDT meetings as necessary, behavior management, and direct psych review meetings.

• Any other assignments as directed by the Administrator.

Also includes supervisory responsibilities that I didn't include.

• Administrator

Honestly, if I were on an adcom reviewing that job description, I'd really be favorably disposed.  Medicine is more than just medicine--it's really driven by social issues, such as self-care/ADLs, transportation, and the like.

You will need some actual hands-on patient care experience too, but I would recommend taking this job.  Even if it doesn't help you get into medicine as fast as another job might, it will make you a better practitioner once you get there, especially if you develop a love for geriatrics.

Archived