Hello everyone!

I am in need of some feedback on where I stand with my chances of acceptance as well as my current path and advice on where to go from here.

I am 23 years old and a recent graduate (May 2017) from Texas Tech University and was on the Pre-PA route.  I received a B.S. in Biology along with a minor in both health professions and spanish.  I finished with an overall cumulative GPA of 3.20 and a science GPA (I think...kinda confused on how they calculate this) of a 2.73.  I have my CNA license, shadowing hours in multiple states within the USA at different types of practices (private and public), and have international experience in the Surgical & Trauma unit at a public hospital in Santiago, Chile.  I am fluent in both english and spanish.

One of my major obstacles is my science GPA.  A lot of the schools would like to see a lot higher GPA than what I have assumed mine is.  I have a total of 160 credit hours.  I am trying to decide if I should retake any classes I received a C in OR take new classes that are prereqs for some of the schools, such as abnormal/developmental psychology.  What is yall's opinion on this?

Another obstacle I am having is that I need clinical experience.  I only have my CNA license, but I have been trying to get a job as a phlebotomist or medical assistant.  I know both of those certification courses are too long and costly for me to take right now so that is why I am going for those jobs without certification.  Any recommendations on how to approach this issue would be greatly appreciated!

Overall, my deal with myself right now is that I am having doubts on my future chances of admission to PA school after spending all that time in undergraduate working towards that goal.  I am stuck on what my next move or focus should be.

Where do you all think I stand as of right now with my chances AND what do you all recommend my next move should be?

Thank you for the help!!

Jack

**also attached is my resume

Resume.docx

Hey Jack,

Capsa calculates cGPA and sGPA by class type.  See link below.

https://help.liaisonedu.com/CASPA_Applicant_Help_Center/Submitting_and_Monitoring_Your_CASPA_Application/Verification_and_GPA_Calculations_for_CASPA/2_How_Your_GPA_is_Calculated

So, the sGPA is pretty low, but cGPA is fair.  If you don't want to go and do a masters program you are going to have to retake some of those science classes and get A's in all of them.  The majority of the schools have a baseline cGPA or sGPA standard of 3.0 and you should have this before applying.  For example, if you took Organic Chemistry I and II and got C's, retake and get A's.  

For work, there are jobs that get you significant HCE without requiring school or classes to get a certificate.  For example, dialysis technician, these require you to later to become certified and take a test however your employer will likely help with this payment.  

It took me about a year to get my sGPA from low 2.9's to a little over 3.15. I still have Organic Chemistry I and II as well as Lifespan Psychology, which I have have not added to this, got A's in these. So likely over 3.2 with those.  I took around 9 classes, only science courses to get to that point, I did this while working full time.  

This all said, you need to figure out how much you want to be a PA.  If it is something you really want then you can figure out how to work and smash these courses and increase that sGPA.  If that does not seem possible, then you may have to consider another path that leads you to the same objective.  MPH or nursing are some possibilities that can lead you down the same road.

You are still young, I am 29, and was just accepted into school on my second attempt.  Keep your chin up and start busting your butt like life depends on it and you will get there.

-Ket

Archived