SoCal_PA

Final Contract - Wellness Exams/Medicare Risk Adjustor

10 posts in this topic

I've posted this a couple of times but this is the final word:

• Salaried exempt employee based on 40hr work week. M-F, 8-5. $129k/yr
  • $5k retention bonus paid after staying for one year (must pay back portion of bonus if I do not stay for 2 full years)
  • 25 days PTO with option to cash out
  • I will be driving 5-20 miles each way to different facilities and performing medicare wellness visits
    • mileage reimbursed at $0.53/mile
  • 1-2 days/week I will work 8 hours from home on chart reviews and adjustments 
  • 5 days CME available and $1500 to spend
  • Bonus structure in place for additional $5/yr if targets met (Not counting on this)
  • 10-12 patients/day scheduled
  • Full Medical, dental, vision
  • Malpractice and tail coverage

The way I calculate it: 

$129k + $5k retention bonus + $3-5k from mileage + $5k from 10 unused days of PTO = ~$142k for the first year. 

What I am worried about:

I've never been on salary and I know I can be taken advantage of this way. Also as an exempt employee, I'm not entitled to any breaks, so I'm not sure how 8-5 comes out to only 40 hrs/week.

• Anyone with salary experience care to comment on this?
  • Does a retention bonus usually mean there's high turnover? Is it a warning sign?

I am in the ER right now and I am looking for a low stress M-F job. I'm hoping that I am making a good choice. 

10-12 patients per day (?in SoCal?, where traffic is notorious?) 5-20 miles apart does not sound like a 9 hour day, to me. You will be eating lunch in your car while driving...

It does not sound like a low-stress job, to me. If you are making house calls a lot of your time is spent in transport, getting in and out of the house (which for elderly, is at least 5 minutes of chat time entering and exiting, plus at least 20 minutes for the exam - that's 30 minutes; add in 20 minutes drive is 50 minutes total; x10 is 500 minutes which is 8h 20 minutes...and those are optimistic estimates).

To me, a low stress job would be working in a supportive, fixed environment, low acuity cases with limited volume. This does not sound like a low-stress job, to me. But your mileage may vary?

The compensation seems decent. But salaried means that you won't be paid extra for extra time needed to complete the work (see above).

Can you spend a day with one of their existing providers to see what it's really like? Seems like you should get a feel for what the day will be like since it's such a big change from ER.

4 hours ago, charlottew said:

10-12 patients per day (?in SoCal?, where traffic is notorious?) 5-20 miles apart does not sound like a 9 hour day, to me. You will be eating lunch in your car while driving...

It does not sound like a low-stress job, to me. If you are making house calls a lot of your time is spent in transport, getting in and out of the house (which for elderly, is at least 5 minutes of chat time entering and exiting, plus at least 20 minutes for the exam - that's 30 minutes; add in 20 minutes drive is 50 minutes total; x10 is 500 minutes which is 8h 20 minutes...and those are optimistic estimates).

To me, a low stress job would be working in a supportive, fixed environment, low acuity cases with limited volume. This does not sound like a low-stress job, to me. But your mileage may vary?

The compensation seems decent. But salaried means that you won't be paid extra for extra time needed to complete the work (see above).

All the patients are in one facility. I'm not going from home to home. 

1 hour ago, ALC0313 said:

Can you spend a day with one of their existing providers to see what it's really like? Seems like you should get a feel for what the day will be like since it's such a big change from ER.

I asked to shadow for a day and surprisingly was told no due to me not having insurance or HIPAA certification with them. This is a bit of warning sign to me as I haven't heard of being told I can't shadow. 

I asked to at least see if I can speak with another PA. Waiting for response 

OK, I misread about the driving part. Single facility is of course better.

Not being able to shadow is a bit of a red flag - insurance should not be an issue as long as you are not actually doing anything. As for HIPAA, it's a simple matter of signing a form stating you'll respect HIPAA requirements.

Asking to speak with someone already doing the job is important, I think - when I have not been allowed/able to do so in past jobs, that was a bit of a red flag. (Although sometimes it can just reflect a pretty hierarchical system)

It will be a big change from ER, however. I presume this is nursing home/residential facility work.

Ya those seem like BS reasons for not allowing you to shadow. Hopefully you can talk to a PA there, if not then I would think twice about taking this job. Keep us posted!

Yea definitely talk to one of the other PAs. If they say no than they are definitely hiding something. Otherwise, sounds like a pretty good gig to me!

Oh hey, I just saw this on reddit too. I'm probably paranoid, but something about this just seems too good to be true. 

On 11/4/2017 at 5:12 PM, Febrifuge said:

Oh hey, I just saw this on reddit too. I'm probably paranoid, but something about this just seems too good to be true. 

I'll take that as a good thing and update you when I start