Scope of Practice - Prescription

Please help me understand scope of practice in regards to script writing.

From the nys.gov department of health website: 

In an outpatient setting, the PA may prescribe all medications, including Schedule II - V controlled substances, if delegated by the supervising physician. PAs may apply to the DEA to obtain their own, individual registration numbers as "mid-level practitioners." Once duly registered by the DEA, they may prescribe Schedules II, III, IV and V drugs, in compliance with Article 33 of the Public Health Law and Part 80 and Part 94.2 of Title 10 regulations. Such prescribing is also subject to any limitations imposed by the supervising physician and/or clinic or hospital where such prescribing activity may occur. PAs shall register with the Department of Health in order to be issued official New York State prescription forms. Official New York State prescription forms issued to the PA are imprinted with the names of both the PA and the supervising physician. If a PA utilizes an official prescription issued to a hospital or clinic, the PA must stamp or type his or her name and the name of the supervising physician on the official prescription.

my interpretation...

In outpatient settings, PA's can prescribe schedule II-V if delegated by MD

If PA obtains individual registration numbers as a mid-level provider from DEA, they can prescribe schedule II-V...[without MD?]

Questions...

What exactly does "if delegated by a MD" mean?

how does obtaining registration numbers from DEA make a differences in their ability to prescribe?

Can PA's never write scripts for schedule I?

are the rules the same for inpatient/hospital/clinic settings? 

On 10/17/2017 at 11:54 AM, swaldma2 said:

Questions...

What exactly does "if delegated by a MD" mean?

--Simply means if your supervising physician says you can't prescribe controlled substances, then you would be precluded from doing so.  There's no form or anything to submit.  I can envision certain types of practices where you'd have no need for this.

how does obtaining registration numbers from DEA make a differences in their ability to prescribe?

--A DEA registration/number is required in order to prescribe controlled substances.  Without it, you cannot.

Can PA's never write scripts for schedule I?

--And neither can any prescriber (with the exception of marijuana).  Schedule 1 by definition has no currently accepted medical use.

are the rules the same for inpatient/hospital/clinic settings? 

--Yes.

Archived