I'm a relatively recent PA grad who is almost a year into my first position as a CC PA at a large tertiary care facility. In a perfect world, I would like to stay for at least two years to further refine my skills, expand my knowledge base, and show some maturity/stability to future employers. In my current position, I make more than the national average for new grads, have full benefits including 401k with match, malpractice with tail, ample CME/licensing, and find that my SPs are fantastic people and educators - this is what sold me on the position and makes it so attractive. Since being here, I have worked hard to build strong relationships with my core team, including the notoriously surly surgical team, and have rather rapidly ascinded to the ranks of "one of the reliable ones" in the group.

Despite these positives, I am starting to feel like this position is non-sustainable for the below reasons:

1. Census: I currently have 10-14 beds to cover per shift, provided the units are not over capacity or we turn over beds. Some days I am seeing upwards of 20 critically ill patients on my own. There is no plan to add additional providers, despite numerous complaints from APPs and physicians.
  2. Quaity of care: Blows. See above.
  3. Administration: Is becoming progressively shadier by the day.
    1. Recently handed out contract amendments to all of the APPs to remove key bonus language without negotiation.
    2. Will not negotiate pay increases during the annual contract renewal period, despite stating otherwise during the initial contract negotiation.
    3. Mishandled privileging so that many APPs cannot perform procedures. The Director of CC, when confronted with this fact, said that it's all crap and we should go ahead and do the procedures because any liability ultimately falls on the SP. Obviously, this is not acceptable and would not hold up in court.
    4. Will not complete the paperwork for PAs to be able to prescribe.
  4. Schedule:
    1. Random - you will flip-flop days to nights back to back. Even if you have blocked shifts, you'll be moved unit to unit. There is no continuity to your schedule or the care you provide.
    2. You may be assigned to an outside facility to cover a one-off night shift. You will not have an attending in-house. You are expected to stabilize critically ill patients, even if you are not credentialed to do so (See above.)
  5. Morale: Probably the worst I've ever seen, and I worked in some truly toxic environments prior to PA school.

My question to you all: Is this normal? Is that just what comes with the territory for CC and working for a large hospital group? If I have solid relationships and feel, in some ways, valuable, should I just suck it up and make the best out of it? Or is this, as I suspect, absolute lunacy and I should run as fast and far as I can to save my sanity and license?

Get out while you can. I fear for the patients being cared for at your facility (no disrespect to you), but most of that sounds like a recipe for disaster. What do you do when two patients crash at once?

No, not normal. I work CC, large group covering multiple campuses/units and during day shift I generally have 5 patients (maximum 9) and at night generally 7-9. It is manageable, but still busy. 

It is not acceptable to do unsupervised procedures for which you are not formally credentialed.

I do feel like I spend a significant amount of time documenting - if I charted less, I might be able to take care of more patients - but charting helps me get perspective on the bigger picture for each patient, and also detailed notes make handoffs safer.

So I agree with the other posters, take your hard-earned (and valuable!) skills elsewhere. There is definitely demand for experienced CC people.

On 10/17/2017 at 8:55 PM, dchampigny said:

Get out while you can. I fear for the patients being cared for at your facility (no disrespect to you), but most of that sounds like a recipe for disaster. What do you do when two patients crash at once?

No offense taken. The running joke at work is that if any of us should keel over from an MI/PE/CVA/etc that we request to be taken to our competitor's facility.

In terms of what I end up doing - say a short prayer while I'm running to the code and start calling attendings from other units to come and assist if it's out of hand. Nights are even worse. I split 68 ICU beds with the attending. When two codes occur simultaneously, it's a disaster.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By reber247
      I'm an ER tech (Starting PA school in August) at a large academic hospital where there is a Post Cardiac Arrest Service (PCAS) that receives post arrest transfers to the ER then ultimately ending up in the CCU. I met a PA who is starting on this service in the next couple months where I think he will split his time between the ICU coverage he does now and PCAS consults/research. He told me he will be the first PA that PCAS has had on and the position was sort of "created for him" through his prior work with the PCAS docs. Does anyone have any experience/knowledge of positions like this? I'm assuming this isn't too common but nonetheless is very interesting to me and something I hope to keep in mind as I think about specialties going through school. 
    • By monae622
      Hey everyone!! 
      Hoping to get some insight on my offer for a position at a Level II trauma center in SoCal. I worked with this group of surgeons as a student so I know it would be an excellent learning environment and tons of good exposure. My time will be split weekly, working in trauma + gen surgery one week and strictly in ICU the next. Training will include running traumas, first assist, various procedures, ICU and vent management, etc. No surgery residents. They currently have 3 NPs and 1 PA and are looking to expand. 
      Base salary at $110k.
      Hours/call: 40hr/week, leaving promptly at end of shift. No overnight shifts as new grad until myself and SP are comfortable. Contract states that call will be paid "standard on call fees" but does not state exact amount. They did stress that being on call is not likely, esp as a new grad.
      Benefits: Health insurance, they pay 90% of standard costs. Have to pay for my own dental and vision. ( is this normal?) Malpractice insurance covered- will be sure to ask about tail coverage. Not eligible for 401k plan until 1 full year of employment!! Seems a little odd to me, thoughts? 
      PTO: "employee shall accrue 0.05 hours of PTO for every 1 hour of work performed" which if my math is correct comes out to about 10 days of PTO -_- hoping this is a typo because that's extremely low. The APPs currently work 4 10s a week but will likely move to 3 12s as more APPs are hired so I am not sure how this affects the amount of PTO. I am thinking of asking for 4 weeks PTO to include vacation, sick and CME days. 
      CME: $1500, does not state specific number of days off 
      Overall, I am really happy with the offer as a trauma position has been my dream for a long time! Not so happy with the PTO, but believe they will be willing to work with me! I would greatly appreciate your thoughts!
    • By SEMPA
      Registration now open for SEMPA 360 being held April 14-18, 2019 in New Orleans, Louisiana!
      Come learn from the best educators in emergency medicine. Conference favorites include Kevin Klauer, Amy Keim, Haney Mallemat, Michael Winters, and Richard Cantor to name a few. The EM:RAP team will also be joining us again in New Orleans for a day of learning along with a special meet-and-greet to visit with some of your favorite EM:RAP stars!
      Over twenty workshops will give you the skills needed in emergency procedures, airway management, ultrasound, slit lamp, suturing, x-ray interpretation, teaching, ECG interpretation, and more!
      Over 40 lecture sessions will cover topics such as critical care, trauma, pediatric emergency medicine, ophthalmology, cardiovascular emergencies, GI disorders, infectious disease, literature updates, and high risk emergency medicine.
      There are also plenty of social activities to enjoy with old and new friends. A wine and cheese reception, opening party at Mardi Gras World, and the SEMPA Quiz Bowl competition will welcome you to the EMPA event of the year.
      CME is available for PAs, physicians, and NPs.
      The discount for early bird registration ends Feb 13. The hotel room block is also limited so sign up now!
      For more information:
      https://www.sempa.org/sempa360

• By UCSF Fresno
      The University of California San Francisco (UCSF) - Fresno Emergency Medicine PA Residency is accepting applications for the 2019 application cycle. This 18-month postgraduate program, affiliated with the UCSF School of Medicine, is designed to prepare PAs to practice in a variety of emergency medicine environments.
      We will be accepting 2 residents in 2019. The class will start June 26, 2019 but we will be offering rolling admissions into the Fall for accepted applicants who have a later PA school graduation date. 
      Deadline to apply is January 15, 2019. 
      Rotations include:
      Trauma Critical Care Pediatric Emergency Medicine Burn Orthopedics Dermatology Ophthalmology Oral Maxillofacial Surgery Toxicology Emergency Ultrasound Anesthesia EMS  Resuscitation courses include: ACLS, ATLS, BLS, PALS
      18-month stipend: $90,000
      Benefits include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, disability insurance, 401k, employee assistance program, 4 weeks of vacation, membership in the Society of Emergency Medicine Physician Assistants (SEMPA), UCSF email access, textbook, malpractice coverage, and more.
      Paid travel to SEMPA 360, SEMPA's annual conference.
      Our state-of-the-art ED at Community Regional Medical Center serves as the only Level 1 Trauma Center/Burn Center for Central California, and handles an annual ED volume of over 110,000.
      The Department of Emergency Medicine hosts fellowships in Emergency Ultrasound, Medical Education, and Wilderness Medicine. Our faculty are involved in EMS, wilderness medicine, ultrasound, medical education, toxicology, international emergency medicine, and more. They are also leaders in the emergency medicine and EMPA community.
      For more information, please see the attached flyer.
      Website: http://www.fresno.ucsf.edu/emergency-medicine-physician-assistant/

Email: em.pa.residency@fresno.ucsf.edu
      Residency Flyer.pdf
    • By UNM EMPA
      UNM EMPA RESIDENCY:
      The University of New Mexico School of Medicine, Department of Emergency Medicine is excited to announce that we are accepting applicants now for our 2019-2020 class. Applications will close Feb 1st, 2019. Our class will start the last week of June, 2018 for an 18-month program for 2 residents. This year we have expanded our eligibility to applicants graduating an ARC-PA accredited program prior to May 31st, 2019. We strive to equip physician assistants with the clinical experiences and didactic teaching that will enable them to practice high-quality, evidence based emergency medicine. Our graduates will have comfort and competence in the care of critically ill patients, the broad scope of emergent presentations, and the skills necessary to be leaders in their profession. 

Cirriculum (# of 4 week blocks)
      Dedicated Orientation Block (1) Adult ED, including dedicated longitudinal block in ED Resus Unit (8) Community ED (1) Peds ED (2) Medical ICU (1) Surgical ICU (1) Combined US/Anesthesia (1) Cardiology (1) Orthopedics (1) Toxicology (1/2) OB/GYN (1/2) Electives (2) Salary/Benefits:
      $57,000 yearly salary Access to health, vision, dental, disability insurance with employer matching Contribution to retirement Paid Vacation Paid travel and registration SEMPA 360 conference SEMPA membership $500 per year CME allowance ATLS, FCCS, and dedicated airway course in orientation Setting:
      New Mexico's only level 1 trauma center, academic hospital and children's hospital Tertiary referral center for large rural state, with high acuity patients Easy access to outdoor activities, climbing, biking, skiing, as well as wonderful food and culture Nationally recognized faculty in EMS, Critical Care, Wilderness Medicine, Simulation and many other areas Applications Open: October 1st, 2018
      Applications Close: February 1st, 2019
      Website: http://emed.unm.edu/education/prospective-applicants/physician-assistant-residency-in-emergency-medicine.html
      E-mail: cpkalan@salud.unm.edu

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More