What's the best "bang for your buck" CME resource?

UpToDate - but definitely get your employer to pay for it.  In less than 1 month I had more than enough CME to fulfill the 2 year requirement and it is useful after the CME is completed.  Now I use my 5 days of CME time as vacation and my extra CME money for travel (and yes, my employer is ok with this)!

Check out NetCE if your employer is run by untrained monkeys and can no longer afford to really pay for your CME, like mine. They run a yearly special that gives you 30+ category 1 credits (on useful subjects!) for I think $70, and their other classes are really reasonable. They are all online and take less than an hour to complete (even for the 15-credit courses).

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/17/2017 at 4:32 AM, mgriffiths said:

UpToDate - but definitely get your employer to pay for it.  In less than 1 month I had more than enough CME to fulfill the 2 year requirement and it is useful after the CME is completed. 

I also have UpToDate, through my alumni. How are we able to use it as CME?

It depends on your subscription.  The subscription that tracks CME supposedly costs more, but there should be a counter in the right hand screen when you log in.  If you have that you just go under your account information.  If you google UpToDate CME there are instructions online as well.  It's annoying to collect, but I'll take the extra week of vacation in return for 1-2 hours of mindless work per two years.

• 1 month later...
On 11/9/2017 at 10:20 AM, FB123 said:

I also have UpToDate, through my alumni. How are we able to use it as CME?

You got my hopes up!  My employer doesn't pay for uptodate either.   Never thought of checking my alumni benefits.  Unfortunately Drexel doesn't offer it but I did apply for my alumni card.  You never know. Maybe someday!

Math makes Up to Date the winner.

As the CME hours go up, that individual subscription cost per credit hour gets sliced and diced even finer.

No brainer to get a subscription whether employer pays or not.

OP does not list what specialty they are in. I tend to get all my logged CME in EM. Perhaps your in specialty colleagues could also provide direction?

While suggestions above will get you quantity, my experience is that if you want more bang for your buck concerning what is actually learned from the activity, that is a more difficult question to answer. Personally, I find workshops and small groups more beneficial. Large lecture hall conferences are no longer for me for a variety of reasons. Unfortunately, the workshops and small groups are not as common and also cost more. But I believe I take away more and therefore worth the $$.

G

UpToDate is probably the best overall value. You can get your 50 Cat 1's as part of your normal workday in a month or two. I really liked Hippo Ed though; it's entertaining, relevant, and informative. Better for real learning, not just spot-reading.

I wonder if UTD is going to put CME companies out of business. I'm not sure how long they have been offering this CME tracking/documenting service but I just recently became aware of it. Game-changer.

Question--

So, employer doesn't pay for UTD but I have a friend who has it and doesn't use it. My question is- can you use someone's UTD subscription and still log your own CME credit? Or does the account have to be in your name? I'm curious because I know using employers/hospitals UTD works fine, but what about another individuals? I don't see a point in buying one if I can use my friends. Thanks for responses.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2017 at 0:32 AM, aimyhtixela said:

My coworkers have been paying for the monthly subscription of uptodate. They use it for a month (enough time to rack up 50-100 credits) for $50 then cancel the account.

Each article counts as 0.5 credits. Isn’t there a limit you can input per day into NCCPA?

Archived