MEDEX 2018 Anchorage Bachelor's Cohort

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello all. My name is Jose Diaz and I have applied to this cohort and am a hopeful interviewee for next year's bachelor's program. I created this forum so we can chat,  compare notes, help each other prepare a little better and set each other at ease. I am an Anchorage resident and have been for several years now. It is my home and I'm looking forward to continue giving back to this community, by way of being a primary care provider. I have only applied to the MEDEX PA program,  as many have done.  If you have any questions feel free to ask. Please be patient as I don't check this every day. 

10 hours ago, Joito911 said:

Hello all. My name is Jose Diaz and I have applied to this cohort and am a hopeful interviewee for next year's bachelor's program. I created this forum so we can chat,  compare notes, help each other prepare a little better and set each other at ease. I am an Anchorage resident and have been for several years now. It is my home and I'm looking forward to continue giving back to this community, by way of being a primary care provider. I have only applied to the MEDEX PA program,  as many have done.  If you have any questions feel free to ask. Please be patient as I don't check this every day. 

Thank you Jose for creating this forum. I have lived in Anchorage for 4 years and I am a Junior at Health Sciences bachelor, I am IMG and MEDEX was my only choice too.I am nervous about the interview, it seems that Anchorage is the last to interview.

Hey everyone! My name is Ciara. This will be my third year applying for Medex. I have my bachelors degree in psychology and worked in mental health for 4 years and currently am a medical assistant at an OBGYN office in Anchorage. I interviewed the past two years and was waitlisted last year. I’m applying to the Masters program in Anchorage but thought I would post here since it’s specific to the Anchorage site. Let me know if anyone has questions about the interview day and I can try and answer them. Hopefully third times the charm for me this year!!

Hello Janetyjo and Ciara.  Welcome to the thread! 

Janetyo, what is your name and what is an IMG? Are you currently only a full-time student or are you working in the medical field and if so, what do you do?

Ciara, past two years that you applied, was it the the bachelor's or masters program?  How long have you lived in Anchorage and was your mental health experience here?

9 minutes ago, Joito911 said:

Janetyo, what is your name and what is an IMG? Are you currently only a full-time student or are you working in the medical field and if so, what do you do?

Ciara, past two years that you applied, was it the the bachelor's or masters program?  How long have you lived in Anchorage and was your mental health experience here?

The first year I applied for the bachelors degree because they didn’t offer the Masters yet. Last year and this year I applied for the Masters degree. I have lived in Anchorage 23 years. My mental health experience was here. I started at Northstar Behavioral hospital working with adolescent aged girl and then switched to Anchorage Community Mental Health Services working with adults with serious mental illness and/or substance abuse issues. I worked closely with the Department of Corrections and Alaska Psychiatric Institute.

Since I have been here, I continue to hear that behavioral health is an area which is in high demand of medical providers.  You're also a long time resident here.  Would you want to continue working here as a PA and if so what setting?  

I also applied to last year's bachelor cohort and interviewed but was not accepted.  Did you interview in Anchorage?  I went down earlier this year to interview in Seattle. It was a great experience along with the fact that I was able to meet some great faculty and staff.

I did interview in Anchorage last year. I do plan to stay in Alaska. All my family and husband’s family live up here and I love it here. I would like to do a primary care or urgent care type setting. I want to stay broad in my scope of practice because eventually I would like to do mission work and would like to be able to help men, women and children and not just a specific group. 

Hello, 

I'm also in Anchorage but applied for the Masters program. I too will be interviewing November 18th. 

We lived in Fairbanks the last 9 years and just moved to Anchorage last year to get our 4 kids settled, fingers crossed for an acceptance. 

Congratulations JoseH! 

Ciara,

I took the year off, my father had some health issues so we have been helping out in Montana.  Hoping to get back to Alaska soon though.  Any idea if Medex is doing just the one interview in Anchorage still or if this earlier date means they are doing two?  Hopefully ill get to see you in Anchorage!

Sean

On October 16, 2017 at 0:08 PM, Joito911 said:

Hi,

IMG: International medical graduate. I was a full time students, just waiting for the interview and I work at ASD and also like patient care technician. I received the invitation for interview on November 18th, what about you? I am nervous

Yanetyjo:

I have been in the medical field for about 7 years as a patient care tech in med/ surg and the ER, LPN in behavioral health and several years as a medic. I will be seeing everyone at the interview on Nov 18 for the interview conference. I'm anxious and excited for this opportunity and would like to see about meeting everyone somewhere the night before.

3 hours ago, Joito911 said:

Yanetyjo:

I have been in the medical field for about 7 years as a patient care tech in med/ surg and the ER, LPN in behavioral health and several years as a medic. I will be seeing everyone at the interview on Nov 18 for the interview conference. I'm anxious and excited for this opportunity and would like to see about meeting everyone somewhere the night before.

Excellent! a lot of experience, wow. I hope to meet you all before the interview.

Archived