Application stats

Hey guys,

I’m a second year PA student graduating in December (PANCE in January). I’ve always planned on doing an EM residency and now is the time I finally get to apply. I picked about 6 residencies to apply to. I was wondering if anyone knows how many applicants the programs are getting now that they are gaining popularity. I did well in PA school (pending last two rotations) and worked as a tech in the ED prior to PA school. A lot of the programs are only accepting 2 residents per cycle and it has me a little concerned.

Thanks for the responses in advance

When I had applied 4 years ago, they told us that around 25-30 people had applied.  Of the 30, only around 15 had the required paperwork and qualifications.  Of those, around 8 were asked to interview, and 2 were chosen.  That said, I think that those 30 people who applied probably applied all over the place so overall placement rate is pretty good, if you are flexible on location.  Also, there are a lot more programs available now that residencies are becoming popular, so I'm sure you'll be fine.  Good luck - keep us posted on how the process goes.  

Thanks for the reply! 

There are more and more popping up every time I search it seems. I have 9 that are on my list. I am very flexible and am willing to move anywhere as long as the program is solid and will provide the training I am looking for. I'll put my list up here just in case anyone has any red flag stories to share. 

- University of New Mexico 

- Albany Medical Center

- NYU

- Cornell

- Johns Hopkins- Bayview 

- Mayo clinic- Minnesota

- UCSF- Fresno 

- Yale

- Albert Einstein 

I'll repost with any updates for the thread. 

Guest HanSolo

Keep in mind the start date of some of these programs. For example, I think Albany starts in October, whereas I am sure some of these start earlier in the year.  With a December graduation date, you probably don't want to wait 10 months. 

Iowa was one of my top choices but when I had originally done my research and put my list together they had two application dates. When I went back recently to get everything together they had changed to just one and I missed it for this year. If i end up needing to apply next cycle it will definitely be on my list.

Gotcha!

I've learned a ton during my time here at Iowa and would recommend it to anyone. They did recently change to one application cycle due to state and hospital budget constraints. Unfortunate, but it's the nature of PA residency given that we have no outside funding like the ACGME programs. 

Good luck to you.

Archived