Pre-PA Applicant Credential Review

Hey all,

I've been working in the medical field (first as a mental health worker at SEPH for a year, and two years interning prior, then in an emergency room/crisis intervention as a tech for two years) for quite some time, and I have intentions to apply to PA school when CASPA opens up in spring of next year.  I have a bachelors in Psychology earned in 2015, and the following are some basic credentials:

-3.67 Cumulative Undergrad GPA, Dean's List from Sophomore Year onward

-Medical Terminology - A, A&P1 - A, currently taking A&P2, Micro and Biochem but expect to have A's in all 3.  

-Approximately 3,080 hours PCE (rough estimate)

-Experience shadowing a PA in both primary care and emergency care settings

-2 letters of recommendation, one from an MD and one from a PA, waiting until I'm finished my sciences to ask a professor for a third to reinforce my academic skill

So, not the highest degree of applicant a lot of schools see, but I'm relatively confident in a lot of my abilities.  However, I'm just experiencing that pre-application anxiety and wanted to post here to see if anyone had any advice, any thoughts on my experience and likelihood at admission, any recommendations on how to bolster my application?  Any and all criticism is appreciated.  It's still a while away, but I've wanted to be in the medical field my whole life and want to be as prepared as possible!

Regards,

Lucien

Your grades are fine and your experience is interesting; not everyone has their HCE in psych, but it should be considered well in many programs.

The combined A&P is not always preferred by PA programs; most want separate courses and both with labs. Do your research there.

It sounds like you'd be worth a shot here. Good luck!

56 minutes ago, UGoLong said:

Your grades are fine and your experience is interesting; not everyone has their HCE in psych, but it should be considered well in many programs.

The combined A&P is not always preferred by PA programs; most want separate courses and both with labs. Do your research there.

It sounds like you'd be worth a shot here. Good luck!

Thank you so much!  Most of the schools I’m applying to accept combined courses, and they both have labs.  

I still have time before applications open so I’m going to try and find a little more experience in a different setting, but being in an ER, I’ve seen many patients with more prevalent medical issues and work with the doctors and nurses to treat those first so luckily I get a good mix of experience... and I have my fair share of crisis experience as well, and can handle my difficult patients!

I greatly appreciate the advice!

I dont think its completely necessary, but some volunteering in something you enjoy would add to your application. Its great to have HCE but it would be well worth showing that you have interests and an attitude of service. My stats are horrible compared to the average PA student. I still wonder if they made a mistake or something. But I have over 15,000 hours of community service. I applied to 4 schools, interviewed at 2 and accepted to both. I believe most schools try to take a holistic approach nowadays. Good luck. 

Archived