Applying for another degree program

I am an old fart and I know it so I am looking for a little perspective from the young toots. :-)

I stumbled across a program at UT in Medical Informatics which I have a little interest in so I started looking at the requirements. You can seek a certificate or any of 3 degrees up to a doctorate. I started looking at the requirements. Reasonable cost....check. All online....check. Accredited....check. Submit a 2 page letter of intent and 3 references. Nope. How about this.... I pay you and you educate me. You know a business transaction which is really what higher education is. This isn't a resident program where class size is limited or anything like it. I'm also not a high school grad trying to decide what I want to do in life.

So what is the deal where I have to beg UT to puleeeeeeze take my money. I thought about writing my 2 page letter of intent in like...800 font size and just typing I INTEND TO LEARN SOMETHING.

I understand the competitive nature of some programs and that they have more applicants than they can eat. This isn't it. Thoughts?

• Upvote 2

On 10/15/2017 at 10:22 AM, sas5814 said:

I am an old fart and I know it so I am looking for a little perspective from the young toots. :-)

I stumbled across a program at UT in Medical Informatics which I have a little interest in so I started looking at the requirements. You can seek a certificate or any of 3 degrees up to a doctorate. I started looking at the requirements. Reasonable cost....check. All online....check. Accredited....check. Submit a 2 page letter of intent and 3 references. Nope. How about this.... I pay you and you educate me. You know a business transaction which is really what higher education is. This isn't a resident program where class size is limited or anything like it. I'm also not a high school grad trying to decide what I want to do in life.

So what is the deal where I have to beg UT to puleeeeeeze take my money. I thought about writing my 2 page letter of intent in like...800 font size and just typing I INTEND TO LEARN SOMETHING.

I understand the competitive nature of some programs and that they have more applicants than they can eat. This isn't it. Thoughts?

There is a limited number of slots per class, just cause it is online does not mean you can have 500 people enrolled per semester with 1 professor teaching the class and grading, making test questions, etc... Also, the other key word is INTENT of why you want this degree. So, you are saying if you are rich enough or mommy has enough money to pay for tuition then one should be allowed to get any degree they want to? What if someone has malicious intent for getting a degree? I truly understand where you are coming from, but there has to be a process for everyone as the system works that way. Just cause you may have 20+ years of health care experience doesn't mean you should not have to write a paper explaining your intent. Where is the cut off then? I hate to jump through useless hoops, but we all have done it. Good luck if you do continue to further your education!  

• Upvote 1

I guess not having done it in a while I was surprised. I get some formal process but 3 letters of reference and a letter of intent for a certification program? I guess I was asking if this is the status quo for any degree program these days. All my education except for my PhD was in the military and it was pretty much sign up and attend. Well PA school was a mountain of an application and 2 letters of reference but no letter of intent. Of course they had your whole military history to look through.

• Upvote 1

I would inquire how many slots are open for this online certificate program.  I agree with what you stated originally and agree with your first sentence.  I guess I am too 'cause I am older than you!!  Dang!!  I do agree that they are making this way more difficult than it has to be for what it is.

Have you applied yet? I would apply, but tell them you are not interested in the ancillary activities. If they want your money, then they will accept you without the busy work. If they are full, you will be passed over. Then it becomes whether you want into the program badly enough to jump through the hoops, or find something else to spend your money on.

Good luck! (I'm betting they fold).

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By toyosizai
      Hi, 

Just signed up for this forum. 

I am currently a senior in my undergrad, I finish in the Summer 2021. My current cumulative gpa is 3.09 which is very low and for my science courses these are the grades I have made: 
      General Chem 1 & 2: B
      Biology 1 : B
      Biology 2: C 
      Orgo 1: C 
      Orgo 2: F(first time), C (2nd time)  
      Physics 1 & 2: A
      Genetics: B-
      Microbiology: D, I am going to retake. 

I am taking Biochemistry 1 this spring 2021 and other upper-division biology courses where I hope to make As in. 

I would like advice on what I should do to increase my gpa.  Should I enroll in a post-bacc program while getting PCE (through volunteering/shadowing or getting a job at an urgent care or hospital) or should retake the classes I received a C or below in, then start prepping to take the GRE and going through the application process. Any advice would be helpful. Thank you. 

• By valentinevar
      Hi everyone!
      So I graduated with a bachelors in biology in 2013 and since then I've unsuccessfully applied to PA school 3 times. Since then I've been working on getting more health care experience -  I worked as a medical scribe for about 2 years and now I've been working as an MA for about 6 (some of the time I was working as a scribe/MA). Life stuff happened that kept me from continuing to apply / taking more classes/ etc but I'm coming around the time where I need to stop working as an MA and actually go back to school.
      Nevertheless, its been a while since I graduated and now a lot of my classes are expiring/expired (depending on programs requirements). On top of that, my degree never required I take biochemistry and a lot of the programs require that... and CASPA calculated my science GPA as 2.98 (unfortunate because I had to retake a science class, and CASPA averages those grades). 
      Anyways, given the expiration date on my classes (and that I need to take biochem), and my science GPA needs a good boost, it is obvious I need to take more classes. A lot of classes... and that's expensive, and still not a guarantee I'll get into PA school. I'm looking into getting a masters degree in something else (something that might be easier to get accepted into, my undergrad GPA is good, its just my science GPA as calculated by CASPA that's bad). But I would like it to be a masters degree that would:
      a) have the prerequisites I need (or at least most of them)/would look good on my application
      b) could potentially stand-alone if I don't get into PA school so I can move on to finding a job that would give me more experience than being an MA (like something in clinical research, for example).
      I considered getting a masters in health care administration but other than helping me find a job with a better income, I don't think health care administration is for me, nor would it help my science GPA so I can continue to apply to PA school - which is what I really want to do. I've also considered a post-baccalaureate degree but I am not sure how that would help me outside of applying to PA school and how different it would be from just taking the classes that I need. 
      Any suggestions / ideas would be greatly appreciated. 
    • By Naonu1
      Hello everyone,
      I am new to this site and I would really appreciate if I can receive advice. I have an undergraduate GPA of 3.045 right now this is prior to my spring semester grades being placed in and I project my GPA to raise but I guess not much since I will mostly have A's and B's. I am also graduating in December so I have one more semester. What makes me nervous is that Yale requires prereq's that I don't have yet (Micro, A&P I AND II, and Biochem) but I have the statistics portion. Luckily, Yale doesn't require any labs for the prereq's. Yale's minimum GPA req is a 2.8 however, CASPA hasn't calculated my GPA yet and based on what I've heard a CASPA gpa is way lower than your transcript gpa and I want to be competitive. 
      Not to mention that I am a psychology major which is already not the usual biology/chem. My major (science undergraduate) is a 3.5. 
      My plans were this summer to take these classes at a community college while completing classes towards finishing my degree at my usual university. The reason for this is due to COVID-19 and my school deciding to continue remote learning via ZOOM. My university doesn't have the best science professors from what I heard and what I seen (taking chem which I got an A in). I figured community college whose curriculum is already set up as online would be much easier for me to pick u in and CHEAPER of course. I say all of this to ask if it makes since to put myself through all of this in the summer if I may not get an interview based on the fact that my regular GPA is 3.0 and even if I take all of these classes and receieve a 4.0 I doubt my CASPA gpa will be raised by that much.
      My PCE (Paid) is 2000. 
    • By AhmedRehman
      Hi my name is Ahmed Rehman and Im a college student that attends Suffolk Community College. Im here to ask if there is any Physician Assistants around my area that are willing to allow me to shadow them. I was really interested in this career path since at a young age and I would love to shadow during the summer. I live around in East Patchogue and Brookhaven. Thank you.
    • By knealon99
      I'm currently a junior in college and have decided to switch career paths from a dietitian to a PA. I don't have any PCE hours (except for some volunteer EMS hours in high school) so I am wondering the timeline for how I would apply to PA school if I took a gap year. I am a college athlete so I can only obtain very minimal HCE hours during the academic year and thus plan on taking a gap year to work as a PT aide and volunteer EMT. From what I have researched most PA school applications open up in June for the program to start the following year, and there is no way I could get the minimum amount of hours before applying. If I take a gap year after my senior year, then apply to school, this would mean waiting two years to begin school. Is it possible to complete PCE hours after applying, or do you think it would be a better idea to strengthen my application through two years of experience as an EMT & PT aide. Thanks in advance!

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More