Applying for another degree program

I am an old fart and I know it so I am looking for a little perspective from the young toots. :-)

I stumbled across a program at UT in Medical Informatics which I have a little interest in so I started looking at the requirements. You can seek a certificate or any of 3 degrees up to a doctorate. I started looking at the requirements. Reasonable cost....check. All online....check. Accredited....check. Submit a 2 page letter of intent and 3 references. Nope. How about this.... I pay you and you educate me. You know a business transaction which is really what higher education is. This isn't a resident program where class size is limited or anything like it. I'm also not a high school grad trying to decide what I want to do in life.

So what is the deal where I have to beg UT to puleeeeeeze take my money. I thought about writing my 2 page letter of intent in like...800 font size and just typing I INTEND TO LEARN SOMETHING.

I understand the competitive nature of some programs and that they have more applicants than they can eat. This isn't it. Thoughts?

On 10/15/2017 at 10:22 AM, sas5814 said:

I am an old fart and I know it so I am looking for a little perspective from the young toots. :-)

I stumbled across a program at UT in Medical Informatics which I have a little interest in so I started looking at the requirements. You can seek a certificate or any of 3 degrees up to a doctorate. I started looking at the requirements. Reasonable cost....check. All online....check. Accredited....check. Submit a 2 page letter of intent and 3 references. Nope. How about this.... I pay you and you educate me. You know a business transaction which is really what higher education is. This isn't a resident program where class size is limited or anything like it. I'm also not a high school grad trying to decide what I want to do in life.

So what is the deal where I have to beg UT to puleeeeeeze take my money. I thought about writing my 2 page letter of intent in like...800 font size and just typing I INTEND TO LEARN SOMETHING.

I understand the competitive nature of some programs and that they have more applicants than they can eat. This isn't it. Thoughts?

There is a limited number of slots per class, just cause it is online does not mean you can have 500 people enrolled per semester with 1 professor teaching the class and grading, making test questions, etc... Also, the other key word is INTENT of why you want this degree. So, you are saying if you are rich enough or mommy has enough money to pay for tuition then one should be allowed to get any degree they want to? What if someone has malicious intent for getting a degree? I truly understand where you are coming from, but there has to be a process for everyone as the system works that way. Just cause you may have 20+ years of health care experience doesn't mean you should not have to write a paper explaining your intent. Where is the cut off then? I hate to jump through useless hoops, but we all have done it. Good luck if you do continue to further your education!  

I guess not having done it in a while I was surprised. I get some formal process but 3 letters of reference and a letter of intent for a certification program? I guess I was asking if this is the status quo for any degree program these days. All my education except for my PhD was in the military and it was pretty much sign up and attend. Well PA school was a mountain of an application and 2 letters of reference but no letter of intent. Of course they had your whole military history to look through.

I would inquire how many slots are open for this online certificate program.  I agree with what you stated originally and agree with your first sentence.  I guess I am too 'cause I am older than you!!  Dang!!  I do agree that they are making this way more difficult than it has to be for what it is.

Have you applied yet? I would apply, but tell them you are not interested in the ancillary activities. If they want your money, then they will accept you without the busy work. If they are full, you will be passed over. Then it becomes whether you want into the program badly enough to jump through the hoops, or find something else to spend your money on.

Good luck! (I'm betting they fold).

Archived