psychiatry help

Hey guys I could use your help on a couple of offers both psychiatry. 

1. M-Th 10 hour days 67.6 hour union penitentiary job,

3 weeks PTO + 10 Federal holidays and one mandatory day off of your choice every quarter

6% employee match 

3k sign on bonus 

allowed to do what I choose with my day off including work somewhere else outside of noncompete 10 miles 

5 days CME 1000

can start 2 weeks after I get my license they are going to push my security clearance through quickly 

Cons: 1 hour drive, run down facility no permanent office basically whatever is open that day 

2. 130k with bonus of $32 per RVU collected above 4000 (bonus seems hard to attain) Psychiatry (initially 115 they worked with me for 130 when I told them the jail offer)

large hospital system

want standard 5 days 9-5

5 weeks vacation 

5 days CME 1000 

very nice facility 

can see any type of pathology (jail said mostly depression/ adjustment disorders/ personality )

5 mins from my house 

did 2 clinicals with them so I know everyone and really like them. Know the charting etc 

not sure about the match I think 3%

100% transparent billing  

Cons- 

2 year noncompete within 10 miles: scary to accept a noncompete like that when its 5 mins from your house basically cuts off 10 miles radius from home 

will take minimum 2 months to start after licensure due to credentialing

*I want to work for the hospital system over the jail but I have always had private practice in mind for the future. The jail pays more in the short term about 10k and I can slowly build a private practice with my one day off a week off. I have a fellow classmate that wants to partner with me and we will each split overhead and do one day a week at the office until we have an sizeable panel and can increase our time to two days each and so on. The hospital system seems awesome but its 10k less, the noncompete sucks, and I cant open my private practice within a 10 mile radius once I decide to leave  

What state? Some states, the non-compete is not enforceable. 10 miles is not very far. You could open your private practice location one town over. If you do grow your practice, after some time, you may be able to open a second location, closer to home...

Have you been inside the jail? I did a rotation in the city jail during school. It is an unusual environment. I am not sure I would 'like' working there, personally.

I have been in outpatient psychiatry for almost 4 years. I love psych. I am so curious as to where you are looking for your practice.... Not too many of us in Psych :)

Thanks for your reply I was hoping someone would respond! I am in IL in metropolitan area where there are three hospitals in very close proximity within 10-12 miles. The inside of the jail is worse than your worst nightmare. Not sure why more people don't consider psych, but I'm happy to be a beneficiary of the perks that come with a scarcity of providers. The jail seems like a cool opportunity that pays more, but drive there sucks. 

The jail pays about 10k more and I can make another 20 working somewhere else that extra day. My loans are a huge motivating factor. I would rather work 5 mins from me and the salary is still really good, but I don't know if I can leave 30k on the table. I could just torture myself for a year or two then find another job where all the light fixtures work. 

They both sound like strong offers financially so I wouldn't let that be the deciding factor. I would personally take the short commute and better work environment. An hour commute will eat up a lot of the elusive work-life balance, and there's a reason why they're paying more at the penitentiary. You can use the first 2 years at the hospital to live cheaply and pay down your loans, it will go by fast. Then you're free from the non-compete, will have less debt, and can look towards building a practice.

the non-jail job for several reasons.

closer to home.

you know/like folks there

jail providers are often the subject of multiple frivolous lawsuits/yr. fine if you never want to leave that setting, but it's a problem if you tell a prospective future employer you have been sued 15 times.

I have a background in psych from my undergraduate degree which helps in interviews. I found another psychiatrist in the area that is willing to do a 70/30 split on collections. It would be a 1099 position and he basically has more patients than he can see and is overwhelmed. I think that might be the best option because it is so difficult to find a doc that will do that kind of split on collections. I have had offers of 50/50 and 60/40 but first one at 70/30. His other PA collected 350k, but it seems a bit to good to be true so I'll have to have an attorney look at the contract.

• 1 month later...

Archived