Post PA Degree options

Looking at Doctor of Medical Science (Lincoln) vs MBA - both online and about 2 years long.  

Lincoln DMS

At the moment I am about 5 years out form graduation and have been practicing in ER since the beginning.  Don't get me wrong, I still greatly enjoy the challenges that come with ER patients (the endless bureaucracy and assertion of the ability to practice without constant hand-holding is obviously a pain at times).  However, I feel the need to broaden both myself and general knowledge in an area that will complement my current path.  To that end I have looked at both an MBA and DMS (Doctor of Medical Science) as possible contenders for "the next step".  I looked at the DHSc from several schools, and while they are seemingly solid, they did not seem to line up with my interests as much as the above choices.  

I am aware of the DMS being new, suspected of being a money grab by some, and not directly leading to increased autonomy/scope/remuneration/etc so that is less of the purpose of the comparison. Regarding the DMS, I was/am looking at the Lincoln program given its content (I have a close friend/colleague who is currently in the program and have looked over some of the material) being more inline with improving my general knowledge and practice (independence issue aside).  Conversely, the MBA seems like it would have general applicability and open doors administratively that often are closed to us as a PA (glass ceilings).  

At this time, the PA to DO bridge is not an option for the purposes of the decision.  I know this will likely get a number of different replies and hope to have several different view points.  The intention with the DMS is to use it to teach at one point or another (aside from improving my practice).  So if there are any individuals who could evaluate the program in terms of how it would be viewed from a program director/hiring committee that would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Look at masters health admin > MBA if health admin is your desire.

regarding teaching, a DHEd /DHSc/ EdD might be a better bet if that is your primary goal. Not a big fan of the DMS at Lincoln. it's not a residency and it's not a real bridge program. don't really know what it is. If you want more clinical knowledge , do a residency and get paid while doing it. If you want independence, do a real bridge. I think Lincoln is mostly a scam with nowhere to go unfortunately. If you just want a doctorate to have one and potentially for PA faculty positions look at the DMSc at Lynchburg.

I agree with EMED that an MHA (or an MBA with health admin concentration) is the way to go for admin type work.  Also ditto what he recommends for degrees for teaching.  Certainly, the DMSc would be okay for teaching as well.  The Lynchburg program is shorter then Lincoln and I think aligns better with admin/teaching. 

Archived