NCCPA Survey On Core Knowledge

This morning I received a survey via email from the NCCPA seeking input from all of us (I assume all of us got it...maybe not) on what constitutes core knowledge. I applaud the effort and found the things suggested as possible core knowledge interesting. I have been in FP, primary care, ER and UC since I finished my Army career in 96 and about half of what was suggested isn't even something I would know about in any depth without reading and studying.
There were a few ways to give your opinion from "should recognize and refer" to"should be able to identify and treat in detail" (paraphrasing) to "doesn't constitute core knowledge".
With, I think 1 exception I marked everything "should recognize and refer" or "not core knowledge". In comment I politely (I think) suggested that core knowledge across the vastness of medicine was a fantasy.
I had to see my urologist about 6 weeks ago and under my allergies I listed Byetta. He said "is that one of those new blood thinners?" I almost screamed "Imposter! You lack core knowledge!" Then I oxygenated my brain and realized there is really no such thing. Maybe understanding vital signs.....
Continuing to hope this is the beginning of a process that will get us away from high stakes testing.

I felt about the same about the survey.  Recognize and refer was the top choice.  While I thought that people in the ED and in family medicine should at least reach the second choice....diagnose and start first line treatment....I kept thinking about the PA who had spent 20 years in psych, subapecialty surgery, etc. trying to go further than that with obscure cardiac and endocrine conditions....no way.  I also had a fair number of no core knowledge choices.  One of the most technically skilled PAs I know specializes in removing donor lungs for transplant.  I couldn’t do his job without years of training.....and better hands.....but I would bet that he would struggle with a day of say, pediatrics.  Although catching up on that if you had to would be easier in theory.  

Archived