This offer is for a position in a small single physician surgical dermatology private practice office in a highly affluent community outside of Los Angeles, CA. The physician is an experienced Moh's surgeon who deals almost exclusively in skin cancer, reconstruction, and cosmetics (no medical derm). She is offering a "training year" and I am seeking a "foot in the door" with dermatology. 

Let me preface this post by saying I know it's a pretty rough offer, but my hope is once developing a skill set within surgical dermatology. I'd hope to become an asset to the practice in order to negotiate a better deal or become more marketable to another derm practice that may give me a better offer. 

• Salaried at $4800/month for the first 3 months, $5600/month for the next 3 months, and $6400/month for the next 6 months ($69,600 pretaxed). 
  • "On Call" weekends and holidays to field the occasional  phone call. 
  • Hours are essentially "open to close" at the office usually between 10-12 hours a day mon-fri until i'm trained well enough to know when its ok to cut out early. Exempt employee status with no set breaks, lunch, or overtime compensation.
  • Profit sharing 401k pension plan where the employer gives 7.5% of annual salary toward retirement with a vesting schedule that becomes completely matured after 6 years. So after 1 year, 0% vested, 2 years 20%, 3 years 40% vested, 4 years 60% vested, 5 years 80%, and 6 years 100%. 
  • CME money is limited to any actual amount. It’s approved on case by case basis and seems like ill rarely have much say in how it’s used. 
  • Malpractice is clams made without tail
  • Health insurance is covered 50% after the first 3 months for the first year. Then 100% covered starting after the first year. 
  • PTO is 7 holidays where the office is closed anyways. 10 additional days will accrue over the first year, 11 the next year, 12 after that, and so on. 

I appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks!

Edited by tessarect

Guest HanSolo

Would you really receive world class training? By comparison, the Medical College of Wisconsin offers a dermatology fellowship in which you know you would. Plus, the salary is 55k there with full benefits, and you would legit be more marketable after. 

I actually like your perspective of going in to learn and show what you're worth and negotiating from there. I did that, and it worked out very well for me. A few things to think about trying to get incorporated: 

• See if you can get a review/renegotiation at 6 months. You may find you don't need a whole year of training. I was basically on my own at 3 months, and I would have to look some things up or ask questions, but I felt pretty good about everything. If all you're doing is skin cancer, reconstruction and cosmetics, I don't see why you would need that long. Maybe for medical derm too, but those things are pretty straight forward if you aren't seeing crazy rashes. 
  • Vacation days? How many? Any limitations to when you can take them? 
  • If having to take call, will they provide you with a call phone or expect you to use your personal cell phone. If personal, consider asking for payment or credit for your phone bill 
  • Not sure what you mean by CME money not "coming into play"? Since it's required for licensing, you want to make sure that's built in because it can be expensive. Unless you mean they'll just pay for whatever, and then I say go for it. 
  • Need tail coverage. 
  • Are commissions/bonuses an option in the future? Make sure that's something you discuss up front. And will you have access to your collections? 
  • Are you guaranteed a job after this first year or would this solely be a training year? If just a training year, I would pass completely and keep looking. If you're not getting general derm training, this would not be that helpful to you as any derm that hires you will likely want to train you in their methods, and will likely be willing to pay a full salary. 
  • Upvote 1

Run as fast as you can and don't look back!!

new grad Derm PA here (my 1 year anniversary with the practice will be in a few months) my package isn't the BEST but it was a reasonable starting point 

-102,500 (straight salary, no productive bonus but I plan to negotiate that at my 1 year mark)

-830-430 M-Th 8-12 on Fri

-2500 cme With 5 paid days off to attend conferences, courses etc)

- 15 Days PTO

- 5 sick days

- All major holidays off (plus half days off the days before thanksgiving/Christmas/New Years eve and an additional day off after said holiday)

-no call/nights/weekends

- no health insurance, medical or dental (but I'm married and spouse covers this in full)

-no 401k/profit sharing (also requesting at anniversary mark)

20-30 patients a day 

mainly gen Derm for now

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By CPPAC
      I'm a PA who's been working in Oklahoma doing general surgery and urology at the same hospital since I graduated in May 2018. I have two concerns:
      1) I finished a 1-year contract and resigned for a 3-year contract which bases my annual bonus off of RVUs (very low 1520). I recently finished the first year of this contract and I've been told the hospital doesn't know how many RVUs I've accumulated because they don't know how to calculate my RVUs from surgery. Apparently, they have always had this issue with RVU calculations for PAs (there is only one other PA working in ortho at this hospital) and they've been "working to figure it out" , but I've been asking for my productivity for about two years and have yet to get ANYTHING useful. In fact, I have been stood-up twice by the clinic manager for scheduled meetings to discuss productivity.
      2) As I mentioned, recently finished off the first year of that contract. I requested an annual review and the clinic manager completely ignored that portion of my email. Seems completely unprofessional to not perform reviews. Convinced my first job at a bowling alley was more professional than this.

Wondering if this kind of thing is normal or just a lazy clinic manager...and maybe any legal advice regarding them giving me a contract with a metric that they have admitted they don't know how to measure. Thanks in advance.
    • By soccerfanatic14
      Hello,
      I'm a new grad PA (started the program right out of high school) who just received a job offer for a hospitalist position with the details here:
      40 hour week. Five 8 hr shifts a week. Overnight from Sun- Thurs 11pm-7am.   $85,000 base pay $15,000 for overnight annual bonus. Would be taken away if I switched to days.   4 weeks PTO 1 sick week 1 week CME and $1500 Paid DEA liscense.  

I'm curious if I should ask for more base pay.  Any opinions?  Thanks! 
    • By Banuchi
      We are a mobile dermatology practice that services the elderly community by providing in-site services to individuals in Independent Living Facilities, Assisted Living Facilities, Nursing Homes and private homes.   Currently looking for a part-time Physician Assistant or Nurse Practitioner with dermatology experience to take over an existing practice in the Fort Myers, FL area, with the possibility of growth to full-time as you grow the practice. Practitioner has the flexibility to set own schedule during the week or on weekends. Supplies and office support will be provided, as well as access to our electronic records software, EMA.   Responsibilities Examine patients and their medical records Diagnose health conditions and illnesses Preform biopsies, ED&Cs, and minor surgeries Propose treatments for chronic and infectious diseases Prescribe medications Maintain accurate records and schedules Inform patients and family members about their health conditions and prescribed medications   MUST have at least 1 year medical dermatology experience as you will be working autonomously.  Medical license required. Hired as a Independent Contractor with compensation equal to 30% of collections, paid monthly. Right candidate is organized, can work independently, is responsible and has a positive attitude. Also must be motivated to grow the business and form relationships with on site staff and administrators. Medical Assistant will be provided if/ when working full-time. Looking to hire immediately. Job Type: Part-time with possible growth to Full-time Compensation: 30% of collections   COVID-19 considerations:
      We are required to follow all COVID regulations set forth by the facilities we enter, which may include masks, gowns, face shields, questionnaires, and temperature checks. Some facilities may require a current COVID test as well.    
    • By Natalie6190
      Here are the details of my offer. There really wasn’t much to it and I have no idea where to start with negotiations and what I need to bring up. My concern is that the salary is a little on the low side. Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated!

Details include: 
      92k salary 
      24 days PTO 
      5 days CME
      2k CME 
    • By kuliherb
      New grad dermatology offer in the Northern Virginia area. Solo MD practice with 4 PAs (1 is leaving and another is leaving in a few months). Only the MD has an MA who brings back pts, scribes and assists with procedures. No Mohs in office. PAs see approximately 15 pts per day at 30 minute intervals - bring pts back to rooms, turnover rooms, perform beta-hcgs without assistance. Location, providers and support staff are great - shadowed with the practice following interview. 
      Offered a 1-year contract for $48/hr, 36 hours/wk, work 8AM - 5 PM (1 hr for lunch flexing every other Friday), no weekends or holidays, no call. Paid bi-weekly. Compensation while training will be $25/hr for the first 4-weeks of employment, increasing to $30 thereafter (no longer than 12 weeks) with a retention bonus after 1-year to compensate for pay-cut during training period.
      Productivity bonus begins after 1-year of employment: annual bonus of 5% of the aggregate amount in excess of 3x calculated annual salary.
      PTO - 83.2 hours (2 weeks) covers vacation, sick leave, CME travel; increases to 3 weeks after 1-year
      Annual stipend - $1,000 covers licensure, CME (to include travel and lodging expenses), uniforms, dues, books.
      401k - dollar for dollar matching up to 4%
      Malpractice insurance - provided but no details written in the contract; verbally told that there is no tail coverage but did not seem to know if policy was claims made vs occurrence.
      No dental, health, vision. Currently covered under spouse's plan. 
      Restrictions: no moon-lighting, 2-year non-compete with other derm offices within a 20 mile radius.

Offered Urgent Care position at $58/hr, ~32-36 hrs/wk to include two Fridays and one-two weekends a month. 2 months training at full pay. Non-training shifts will be from 2 PM -10 PM; working with another PA/NP in house at all times - can work solo after 1 year. Paid time and a half for holidays worked. No call. Salary growth of 3-6% annually plus RVU bonus.
      PTO - 84 hrs; plus 3 months maternity leave through disability
      CME $1500
      401K - 100% vested after 1 year, 3-6% match after 1 year
      Profit sharing - 1500 hours (not really sure what this means...need to do some research)
      Malpractice insurance - occurrence policy. No tail coverage.
      Health insurance provided.
      Licensure fees, membership dues covered.

I like both practices and need some feedback. I like staying busy, doing procedures and developing relationships with patients. I do no like the UC hours to include shift time, weekends and holidays - spouse works 9AM-5PM and want to have more time together. Derm location is closer to home, less charting, predictable schedule. I want to renegotiate the derm offer to match the hourly compensation of the UC offer - hoping to get at least $53/hr, ask for 20% rather than 5% annual bonus with a goal stipend of $2500. Any tips of advice of any sort would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More