Any PAs regret going to medical school?

5 hours ago, pennpac said:

They probably don't come to this board anymore ;)

I still got love for the PA forums

On 10/13/2017 at 0:16 AM, wktk222 said:

We see many posts regarding the regrets of not going to medical school, but I wanted an opinion from those who have done both. 

Any PAs that decided to go to medical school regret the decision? Why?

I'm a MS3 now, I haven't regretted it once up until about a week ago. The non-stop board exams, shelf exams, evaluations, insane hours, presentations, research, COSTS, and stress is getting to be too much. Mess up one little thing and it will have devastating consequences to getting the residency I want. Not to mention the stress on my marriage and lack of life outside medicine. Hoping things will improve. As far as knowledge gained, I will never regret that. 

1 hour ago, Hckyplyr said:

I'm a MS3 now, I haven't regretted it once up until about a week ago. The non-stop board exams, shelf exams, evaluations, insane hours, presentations, research, COSTS, and stress is getting to be too much. Mess up one little thing and it will have devastating consequences to getting the residency I want. Not to mention the stress on my marriage and lack of life outside medicine. Hoping things will improve. As far as knowledge gained, I will never regret that. 

stay the course, you are almost there!

On 10/14/2017 at 3:52 PM, Hckyplyr said:

If you read my other post, I did the reverse-- Went to med school first, didn't match and went to PA school and now a PA.

In hindsight, the stress level of going through med school is 100x worse than PA school. Every step of the way presents a fork in the road and determines what specialty you will end up in. As an IMG/FMG, it determines if you will even match to become a licensed physician. If you attend a US med school, you're golden. Even if you fail one of the Steps, if you apply broadly, you will match somewhere (even if it's not your first choice specialty/location, who cares you'll still be a physician at the end).

6 hours ago, IMGtoPA said:

If you read my other post, I did the reverse-- Went to med school first, didn't match and went to PA school and now a PA.

In hindsight, the stress level of going through med school is 100x worse than PA school. Every step of the way presents a fork in the road and determines what specialty you will end up in. As an IMG/FMG, it determines if you will even match to become a licensed physician. If you attend a US med school, you're golden. Even if you fail one of the Steps, if you apply broadly, you will match somewhere (even if it's not your first choice specialty/location, who cares you'll still be a physician at the end).

I just saw your post. I'm so sorry to hear that. Sounds like you're doing the best thing given your circumstances. Work as a PA, get in close with a residency program and let them get to know you and your situation, and they will match you. Its all about who you know. 

Archived