Why you should join your state chapter?

Why you should join FAPA by Nicole Schtupak-Zernitsky, Florida Academy of Physician Assistants (FAPA) South Regional Director:

It’s a great idea for all PA Students to be members of their States academy. It allows for SO much: networking, information, mentoring, biannual conferences and being up to date with all the PA legislation, just to name a few. Also, it’s very common to come across PAs who take shadows/clinical rotations, for them to ask if they are members. It shows your dedicated, and serious to pursuing the profession. 

I know it can be expensive, especially in PA school. But, your dues go to help lobby for our profession, and protect it against non friendly PA legislation, and lobby to help pass laws that ensure we have the practicing rights we do. It’s also tax deductible! It does not go to pay salaries… I am on the board of directors as the South Regional Director, and everything I, and the other members of the board, do are all voluntary. We do what we do because we believe in and love our profession. If you love PAs, love your PA, want to protect the PA profession, be a PA, working hard to become a PA then support your state academy. 

It’s super important. I had no idea until I became a PA student, and even more so now that I’ve become one. You want to protect everything you’ve worked so hard to attain. And don’t think that for one second there aren’t non friendly legislation attempting to sneak into laws. It’s currently happening! It’s bc of the state academy and their political action committee that help to combat those groups.

Non friendly legislation in one state opens the door for other states. We have to all band together in all of the ways we can. One way to help, is just as simple as becoming a member.

Nicole’s background: ER PA, critical care flight PA, South Regional Director for FAPA, adjunct faculty at Barry University, and previously sat on the admissions committee for the PA program. 

Join today: http://www.fapaonline.org/default.asp?

Archived