New grad: Decent salary but am I being lowballed?

The hospital will be paying me 90K with benefits. M to F 8 to 4 PM, no nights, weekends, holidays with 29 days off  per year and 7 sick days, medical, dental, CME and malpractice insurance. HR tells me I am getting paid for 37 hours, but I would be working 40 hours + few extra for documentation and so on... In that case, should not I be paid a full 40-hour weekly salary? That would raise my salary by ~$5500 per year. I am not sure if HR is flexible with negotiating the salary. What do you guy think? Am I getting screwed here?

BTW, the department mostly has NP's as midlevels and so maybe no one is advocating for me? I will be the only PA by the time I come on board in a couple months. I should be advocating more for myself, right?

Guest HanSolo

With that schedule and those benefits as a new grad...sounds pretty good to me. HR is probably accounting for a certain amount of unpaid break time during the day. 

I think you answered your own question via your response.  You asked for comments, you received one, and apparently didn't like the answer.  I think it is a reasonable offer based on the information that you provided.  What you left out was specialty area and region of country.  As an exempt employee, which many of us are, your salary is your salary regardless of hours worked.

What you need to take into consideration is do you feel that you are being reasonably paid for what you're being asked to do, with your level of experience, and taking into consideration the associated benefits?  Personally, I don't care to know what others in my setting are being paid.  You offer me x dollars to perform y duties and only I can answer whether I want to accept it or not.

13 hours ago, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

I think you answered your own question via your response.  You asked for comments, you received one, and apparently didn't like the answer.  I think it is a reasonable offer based on the information that you provided.  What you left out was specialty area and region of country.  As an exempt employee, which many of us are, your salary is your salary regardless of hours worked.

What you need to take into consideration is do you feel that you are being reasonably paid for what you're being asked to do, with your level of experience, and taking into consideration the associated benefits?  Personally, I don't care to know what others in my setting are being paid.  You offer me x dollars to perform y duties and only I can answer whether I want to accept it or not.

I am in the NYC area. specialty is Nephrology. does this mean I should demand more? 40 hour pay instead of 37 hour pay?

Other new grads in the same hospital who got hired for Surgery is getting 105K flex shift 3x 12hour shift; another ER 4 x 10 mostly days and she is getting 105K also...

Guest HanSolo

Yeah, but that's surgery and ER. Those jobs you expect a higher salary (esp compared to outpatient w/ no call or weekends) and that type of schedule. 

Ask HR or whomever to clarify the 37 hr work week pay. Sounds like that is your major hang up, and we can't answer that question for you.

Archived