I had posted on another thread that I am looking to renew my contract and maybe go to a straight production contract for my derm job.

When I joined the practice, I was told that they had good collections, around the 80% mark.  That seemed to be excellent.  However, yesterday I had them pull my charged amount for the year and it showed that I had charged (or billed?) about $900K but the net received, which I am assuming is collected monies, was only about $360K.  That's a collection rate of 40%.  

That didn't seem right.

What are typical collection rates you guys are seeing out there?

2 hours ago, marktheshark89 said:

In primary care we are at around 72% for my practice. 

Do you know how your practice calculates this? 

I've been doing some research about net collection rate, and am seeing some unexpected things. 

I always thought the collection rate was what you actually took in (both from the patient via cash/check/credit card plus insurance payments) divided by what you charged.

But now, I am seeing that the net collection rate can be defined as dividing net received payments by the net of approved insurance contractual adjustment.  

On 10/12/2017 at 10:30 PM, marktheshark89 said:

Yup ours is calculated as collections/billing. We do not subtract the insurance adjustment

And you still collect 72%.  I am guessing primary care bills much differently than derm?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By CPacheco
      I work as a physician assistant at an orthopedic urgent care center where we offer Neuromuscular Electric Stimulation (NMES) as a therapy to aid in recovery and healing. We have a therapist here 3 days a week for that. As a PA, are we able to bill a therapy code for that therapy on the days therapist is not here and I provide the therapy? Any help with this issue is greatly appreciated.
    • By OrthoPA1
      Hello, I am an orthopedic surgery PA with > 10 years experience, and am looking to learn about RVU -based reimbursement, for a potential job change.  The RVUs would be awarded based upon billing, not collections, as it is an underserved area with poor payer mix.  It would be clinic-based; no surgical assisting or hospital work.  My questions:

1. Does anyone know what the typical $ per RVU value would be, for an orthopedic PA?

2. Does anyone have access to a list of RVU per CPT code for typical orthopedic office procedures?  (injections, fracture care, splinting, etc).  I was able to find 0.97 for 99213, which is a common office visit code ...I'm more curious about the procedures

3. Is this a workable plan for orthopedics?  Is it possible to thrive financially within an RVU -based system?  I am aware that it would be important to avoid seeing a lot of postop patients within their global billing period, as those visits award 0 RVUs.  Correct?

Any insight you can provide, would be appreciated!

Thanks

• By roemen2
      Does anyone have any good CME or other educational references to help me expand my knowledge of billing/coding?  I do family practice with ER/hospital coverage in a rural health facility. Clinic is my main concern as the hospital charges are all reviewed by the coders. Thanks!
    • By CTGPAC
      Hello! I am looking into starting a House Calls Service in Maryland/DC metro area - I would like to be an independent contractor to extend the services of existing private internal/geriatric medicine practices and see only their Medicare home-bound patients. I currently have been working 3 years as a House Calls PA seeing Medicare pts. But recently our very cool private practice was sold to a large company and i was forced to go W2 and the whole place is a corporate mess. I want to return to my independent 1099 status which works out very well for me.  I am in love with what i do!  I fervently believe this is the future of health care and the right thing to do. Just getting started in discovering its feasibility/ in the R&D phase. Is what i want to do feasible??
      Have a lot of info from attending the recent AAHCM conference but still much, much more to do... Any advice would be appreciated. 
    • By paporzelt
      question - is there a guideline, or even an ethical % of time a first assist must be scrubbed? I've caught wind of some PA's at some places scrubbing for just the timeout, and then coming back to close, and billing for a first assist. while this is isn't on my list of things to aspire to - is it ethical to scrub out during a longer case, to prep the next patient in holding, and then come back to finish up, yet still bill for first asssit? Was doing some digging, and didn't see anything. 

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More