How to become a better hands-on learner before I start PA school?

Hello! I am seeking some advice.

I feel like in my undergraduate career, I struggled with learning procedures or skills during lab classes. My main problem is, I'll observe or listen to the entire procedure, and then not remember any of it. I am one who learns by repetition and I feel like I struggle when being shown a new skill or procedure because I will forget it If I don't see it multiple times. I do well after reviewing the procedure multiple times. However, in PA school, I likely won't always get to see every procedure multiple times. How do I learn quickly and efficiently while I watch demonstrations of skills or procedures? Especially during clinical rotations, I know preceptors will expect a lot and will want me to learn skills quickly. Sometimes taking notes while observing skills helps but I won't always have the chance to do so in PA school or the real world. 

Does anyone have any advice for me? 

Please let me know! Thank you so much. :)

Hi Brandon!

I am in my last semester of didactic (so I can't give much advice about clinical year), and we are currently learning to suture. We learned as a class and our professors made their way around the classroom to watch our technique and give us pointers. They also posted multiple videos for us to watch which were very helpful! Our professors are also great because they are always readily available and willing to help one-on-one. 

Hope this helps a bit!

You should consider actually using your hands to learn when it comes to procedures, or even anatomy. Touch bones while you use an atlas. Suture practice materials (our program has students take home suturing sets, knot-tying kits, etc).

For hands-on skills, it's hard to remember what you saw. It's easier to remember what you actually did. Like you'll know how to ride a bike for the rest of your life.

• 1 month later...

Keep in mind after PA school you won’t be proficient in everything, always still learning. I would really take seriously learning your physical exam, it is vital for sure as a provider. There are certain things you will never do enough of unless you work in surgery, ER, or urgent care so don’t feel completely insecure about it. But having solid physical exam skills is what you will always do. There’s a whole lot of things you will do as a provider that will never be fully experienced as a student. I have worked in ortho surgery and urgent care but i have never done central lines or lumbar punctures for example. Don’t overstress Pa school before starting, you will have a lot to learn outside of hands on work.

Archived