Life during PA School

I am just looking for some perspective.

How is life during PA school?

I understand rigorous, but I am looking for a day by day breakdown. I have looked through my schools of choice and all they state is how many credit hours the courses/clinicals are. I have heard it is an 8AM to 5PM day for classes and I understand clinicals could be 12-24 hour shifts. I'm just trying to get an idea of what type of schedule I will be looking at in the future.

Thanks!

I'm sure each program differs. but my program changes semester to semester. But, for the most part our clinical year we were in class 8-5, and one day a week 8a-9p. We usually had a few breaks though, an hour here, 2 hours there, lunch, etc. Was always nice if we had a test that afternoon, or you needed a nap after an AM test and an evening before of no sleep. our summer semester was better, usually done by noon or 2 in the afternon, and we never had class on a friday.

clinical year, each rotation varied. I had some rotations that were less than 30 hours a week...then others like surgery i pulled about 70 hours a week.

But remember, it doesnt jsut end with class. We averaged 2-3 tests a week for the first year, plus clinical exams for each body system, and finals week (sleep will be but a dream then).

People are serious when they say - life gets put on hold for 2 years. I missed one of my oldest friends wedding, the birth of my only niece, and i didnt even meet her until she was 6 months old, i missed birthdays, and a lot of things i wish i could have made. But in the end it's worth it. And if you can survive PA school, you can survive anything.

Every program is different and so is every semester- 1st semester I don't think I moved from my desk when I got home. Went to school 8-5 and studied until 12, on test nights studied until about 1 am and then woke up at 5 am to study again. Second semester was more difficult academically but you get the feeling of what you can and can not do- second semester I helped my husband out with household chores. This semester is my third semester and it is by far the easiest. The course work is more complex but you learn how to study. I have a lot of free time this semester to spend with my 2 daughters and husband in comparison to the first 2 semesters. You just have to plan your schedule and see what works for you. You can't look at the books 24 hours a day- you would burn out, not to mention that "productive studying" is different from studying. I just learned what my productive studying time was and instead of looking at the books constantly- would step away and do something else for the rest of the time. Don't know what clinicals will be like yet. However, you can do it.. I have 2 young daughters, 1 husband that goes to school full time as well and I still pull A's on all of my exams. Just be prepared for the worst, but you can handle it if you try!

Wow! Thanks everyone for the GREAT responses. That's exactly what I was looking for. It seems that I need to really focus on understanding beneficial study habits. I am not the type of person to stay up until 1 in the morning to study and then wake up only 4 hours later...but I guess if that's what it will take I may have to learn how to function with no sleep!

I know it sounds a bit hokey, but I can't recommend enough finding out what kind of learner you are. Google "VARK assessment" and go from there. It would be really unfortunate to study one way (because it's the way you've always done it) if that way isn't beneficial to your learning style.

And ditto the studying at 5am thing. If I'm up at that time, I haven't gone to bed yet. Otherwise, I'm practically a zombie that early in the morning!

Life in PA School...fighting to stay awake and squeeze in naps whenever possible. The constant feeling that there is no way you are going to learn everything for an exam but somehow you still do. Being able to flip a switch when one exam is over to immediately start studying for the next. Relying on support from family and friends, especially after a bad grade. Our days probably average 7 hours of lecture, sometimes more, sometimes less. Usually 2 exams a week. I try to get 7 hours of sleep a night but sometimes it's less. Grocery shopping and chores become study breaks. You try to catch up on a couple of your favorite shows on the weekend. Sometimes you even get to go out on a Friday or Saturday night! Counting down to the next break and ultimately graduation.

"Grocery shopping and chores become study breaks."

LOL - I was just saying this the other day! It's a little sad that my idea of a relaxing Saturday night is doing laundry!

To the OP - your time management skills will make or break you. You will be learning much of the material taught in med school, but at a faster pace and with less hand holding. In fact, we had an MD in our program who couldn't keep up and failed out. I quickly realized time management was my weakest area and would my undoing if I didn't fix it. If there is one book I could recommend to pre-PA's, it would be The Now Habit by Neil Fiore. I know this sounds corny, but that book changed my life. If you learn how to budget your time well, you can make it through school while still making time for some things you enjoy.

School M-F 8a-3p. I go home and study for two or three hours. On Friday afternoon my class meets at a bar for an hour or so for a couple of beers, then I go home to get my chores done, like laundry, grocery shopping, and clean the house a bit.

I try to save half a day on the weekend for me, usually Saturday. In the afternoons on Saturday, I go out to eat and catch a movie.

This is working OK for me, except the last test I had on Wednesday. That test I only got a 76% on and that gives me a borderline B/C in that class, so I will need a bit of extra study to catch up. You will find yourself constantly adjusting your study hours and habits. Study too much and risk burning out and failing, study too little and you risk failing. It is a fine line to walk.

Archived