PA salary caps

I work in CT Surgery and at my institution it would appear that you can achieve the capped salary relatively early on in your career. I have 5 years CT Surgery experience and I make $4/hour less than the next 2 PAs ahead of me that have 11-12 years of experience and are capped. The PA with the most experience has 36 years of CT experience (25 with this institution) and has been salary capped for 7 years. His only income adjustments have been an annual "merit bonus" which is anywhere from 1-5% of his base salary as a lump sum, but his base never changes.

Does this seem an it odd to anyone? Shouldn't the scale be more broad with a higher cap? Currently cap is around $141,000. They say they re-evaluate each year but the cap never moves.

where is my incentive to stay and be a career employee if I get capped 7 years into my career with 20+ years ahead of me? That seems like a lot of money to lose in terms of salary potential, loss of compounded interest through no adjustments in contributions to retirement savings. Trying to figure out the best way to approach this with the powers that be...thoughts?

I should also say that this is strictly salary, we don't take call, which is rare in CT Surgery. That being said, in all of our previous jobs our base salaries capped out way higher and we were compensated separately for call.

We 1st assist all cases, help general surgery residents rotating on service with rounds, transfers, discharges and procedures. We do resident and medical student education and staff attending clinics. Overall, in my current position I feel I'm being fairly compensated, but in another 2 years I won't be. Just not sure if there is an avenue here to open talks with the administrators. People have tried before me, but were never armed with data. My finance guy is running numbers for me to give me an idea of what I could lose staying here with no raises and potential lost retirement savings and I'm going to reach out to some programs in our peer group to gather some data as well.

what location is this? the only thing that makes sense are market forces driving salary down. this is really low for you billing out in the OR like that 

it sounds as if you are still in Academics? that is to be expected. you have residents and fellows managing a lot so they dont see need to compensate you

if you do leave you must be prepared to shoulder more responsibility in a private setting. Your stress level will go up and you will work more hours relatively . You will be compensated more though. you have to factor in all these variables when you decide to seek more money 

i just made the jump from a university to a private setting and my stress level went up with my income but i am much happier and have eliminated a lot of issues the residents caused in hospital 

Archived