How to pass biochemistry... pls help

I got straight A's in biochemistry and I'm a dummy. How??

I drew it out on giant white boards. Everything, all the pathways, signaling ect... Then I did it again and again - several times. I did several practice problems online every day. Then it all started falling in place. I don't know if that helps but that's how I did it. 

I got straight A's in biochemistry and I'm a dummy. How??
I drew it out on giant white boards. Everything, all the pathways, signaling ect... Then I did it again and again - several times. I did several practice problems online every day. Then it all started falling in place. I don't know if that helps but that's how I did it. 

Ditto. Over and over and over. Same thing with organic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What resources does you school offer? My undergrad had free tutoring and the professors were super willing to meet during office hours. Figure out what your school offers to support students like you who are struggling in a class. If it is possible, arrange to meet with the professor to go over the test. This will help you understand what they are expecting of you.

Studying-wise I would just what 8404PA said. Get a white board and a group of classmates to study with! Write everything on the white board and talk through it with your peers. Actually read the chapters and take solid notes. It is still early in the semester and you can still do well in Biochem!

Im in my first quarter of PA school. If you are having a tough time now you are going to struggle hard when you get to the program. Its not always the subject but the study habits. Get those down and you can excel. Learning to study is an art. I dont consider myself very smart but ive really honed my study habits. Im still struggling in class but i know ill get through it. Good luck on your journey. 

Thank you everyone! I definitely need to change how I am studying. I am going to go talk to my professor now- I treated this class a little more like an anatomy class where I read through it once or twice but try to conceptualize the material and just really understand the process. Learning there is no process in bich. all memorization 

There's this thing called the "testing effect." Look it up, it's pretty interesting. Basically, testing yourself helps you better understand the info than simply restudying. One of my profs gave me the best advice yet: to literally get out a blank sheet of paper after a lecture, and write down everything I remember. I'm putting myself in a "test-taking' environment that way. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, it's better to approach the process from the point of view of understanding the material, rather than memorizing it. And due to this approach, you will be surprised how much you can eventually know. I think this method is the basis for mastering any subject. Also, you can read the Lehninger Principles of Biochemistry or go to answershark.com to see the frequently asked questions and chemistry answers on this topic.

Archived