SamantaS

Share from your personal experience?

Hello everyone,

I'm 28 years old. I work as a therapist in a local clinic of Minneapolis. For me, the most difficult and exhausting is billing part. It takes the major part of my time. I understand that managing my paperwork faster, I could increase the number of patience treated. Instead I'm wasting time with the billing. What ways to ease it you can share from your personal experience?

In 2010 I started my own clinic (headache). Being the owner I was cast, head on, into billing and collecting issues to support a 3 provider practice. It was the stuff of insanity. I went to battle with several insurance companies and fought them on a daily basis. The last straw was when one of our major insurance companies in our region (finally) agreed to contract with us. Via e-mail from their VP of provider contracts we could start seeing their patients as of Jan 1, 2014. Our schedule was full of their patients for the next few months (there was a long waiting list). It took about three or four months before my biller noticed that we were not getting paid for that insurance company's contracted patients. This started a long battle where that insurance company said, "Yes, we have contracted with you and yes Mr. X sent you an e-mail saying that you can start seeing our patients on Jan1, however, you are not in our system, therefore we cannot validate the billed visits or pay you for them." After going to the state insurance commissioner (who was worthless to us because he said he only represented patient causes), I met with my lawyer to start a lawsuit (we had lost over 100K uncollected bills during the three months). The lawyer said it would cost me at least 200K to pursue a lawsuit against them and in the end, if it was ruled in our favor, the insurance company would have to pay us the 100K. So, it was not feasible.

I continued this battle for a year on my own. The losses from that insurance failing to pay us (making up more than 40% of our practice at that time) was the death nail to our clinic. I closed the doors on Dec 31, 2015. I had to leave the country for a month to regain my own mental health and to recover from the rage I was feeling.

I then joined my old practice where I wanted nothing to do with contracting or billing. I worked on pure productivity. That practice was struggling with their own billing problems (which all independent practices face). To all of our surprise, on July 31 the owner suddenly closed his doors to avoid bankruptcy.

Tomorrow I start the last job of my career. I will be starting a headache clinic as an employee of a hospital on my island. I know that I have not answered your question, but my billing issues have been simplified. I bill mostly on time. I have done a lot of research on the procedures and he codes that I do. I have well-defined templates on my wall and I bill consistency with those. I don't have to get involved with billing issues. Once again I am working on 100% productivity, per my request. So, collections is important to me. But I have simplified it and now, as compared to before, it is not a problem an longer.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, jmj11 said:

In 2010 I started my own clinic (headache). Being the owner I was cast, head on, into billing and collecting issues to support a 3 provider practice. It was the stuff of insanity. I went to battle with several insurance companies and fought them on a daily basis. The last straw was when one of our major insurance companies in our region (finally) agreed to contract with us. Via e-mail from their VP of provider contracts we could start seeing their patients as of Jan 1, 2014. Our schedule was full of their patients for the next few months (there was a long waiting list). It took about three or four months before my biller noticed that we were not getting paid for that insurance company's contracted patients. This started a long battle where that insurance company said, "Yes, we have contracted with you and yes Mr. X sent you an e-mail saying that you can start seeing our patients on Jan1, however, you are not in our system, therefore we cannot validate the billed visits or pay you for them." After going to the state insurance commissioner (who was worthless to us because he said he only represented patient causes), I met with my lawyer to start a lawsuit (we had lost over 100K uncollected bills during the three months). The lawyer said it would cost me at least 200K to pursue a lawsuit against them and in the end, if it was ruled in our favor, the insurance company would have to pay us the 100K. So, it was not feasible.

I continued this battle for a year on my own. The losses from that insurance failing to pay us (making up more than 40% of our practice at that time) was the death nail to our clinic. I closed the doors on Dec 31, 2015. I had to leave the country for a month to regain my own mental health and to recover from the rage I was feeling.

I then joined my old practice where I wanted nothing to do with contracting or billing. I worked on pure productivity. That practice was struggling with their own billing problems (which all independent practices face). To all of our surprise, on July 31 the owner suddenly closed his doors to avoid bankruptcy.

Tomorrow I start the last job of my career. I will be starting a headache clinic as an employee of a hospital on my island. I know that I have not answered your question, but my billing issues have been simplified. I bill mostly on time. I have done a lot of research on the procedures and he codes that I do. I have well-defined templates on my wall and I bill consistency with those. I don't have to get involved with billing issues. Once again I am working on 100% productivity, per my request. So, collections is important to me. But I have simplified it and now, as compared to before, it is not a problem an longer.

Thank you for your interesting story, maybe it's time for me to learn how to simplify, because I usually only complicate it, it's such a trait of my character.

Hello, i am a new in this , and if you  like to simplify i have a advice for you , as for me 

I've decided to use professional support. There are a lot of companies helping physicians to manage paperwork.

21 hours ago, Benjamin213 said:

Hello, i am a new in this , and if you  like to simplify i have a advice for you , as for me 

I've decided to use professional support. There are a lot of companies helping physicians to manage paperwork.

I visit this forum to receive answers to my questions about paperwork managing , and i see this topic ,  do it`s true is many companies that helping in this ?
How do they exactly manage your billing?

Hi,SamataS,

In my opinion, hiring a medical billing service company is the best solution to save time and providing the best services to your patients. There are a lot of companies that provide medical billing services and help to reduce the amount of paperwork for a medical staff.

Thanks!!

WOW, this is so bad. The grammar is horrible. The structure is so fake. WHY is this on our site? It is obviously a PHISH or a scam for some advertisement or something.