Residency Petition

Hello everyone!

I was just accepted into my dream PA program. Downside... it's in a different state than I currently reside in. However, I'm planning on moving to Maryland early, long before my program would begin next year, to be with a sick relative. Therefore, I'm interested in petitioning for in state tuition. It would save me $40,000 so it's definitely worth the hassle! Has anyone attempted this process before or have any advice to give about in state / out of state residency? I know it's dependent on state (and trust me - I'm deep in that research) so more looking for general knowledge or helpful hints from success stories. Much appreciated :)

28 minutes ago, leafosterxo said:

Hello everyone!

I was just accepted into my dream PA program. Downside... it's in a different state than I currently reside in. However, I'm planning on moving to Maryland early, long before my program would begin next year, to be with a sick relative. Therefore, I'm interested in petitioning for in state tuition. It would save me $40,000 so it's definitely worth the hassle! Has anyone attempted this process before or have any advice to give about in state / out of state residency? I know it's dependent on state (and trust me - I'm deep in that research) so more looking for general knowledge or helpful hints from success stories. Much appreciated :)

First, congrats on your acceptance to your dream pa school and you are amazing to take care of your sick relative! 

so I personally experienced this moving from Texas to California for undergrad for a public school.

I was charged out of state tuition the first year but I appealed for in-state the following year most school systems in my experience want you to establish residency 1 to 2 years before attending their institution

I would recommend establishing residency as soon as possible getting your driver license issued from that state changing over your license plates and registration for your car and doing your taxes ASAP either next year april in that state while getting paperwork with leasing info on it asap so that way if you can't establish residency and have to pay full price the first year you may be able to qualify for in-state tuition at least the second year and hopefully that will cut down your savings worse case scenario to maybe 20,000 if you dont qualify for in state both yearsso that way if you can't establish residency and have to pay full price the first year you may be able to qualify for in-state tuition at least the second year.

Regardless of why you're moving some general rules:

-You usually have to live in the state for 1 calendar year before you qualify for in state tuition

-You can't maintain residence in another state (i.e don't keep a home or apt where ever you are now while living with said sick relative)

-This may be school dependent, but sometimes they have cutoffs for when you can qualify as well (on top of the 1 year requirement).  For example, if your one year mark would be in October (hypothetically), you can't qualify until the following October.  They won't pro-rate you for the fall semester.  They *may* have a rule that you have to be considered a resident at the beginning of the school calendar year (i.e before fall semester) and that your status for tuition purposes won't change until the following school year.  This essentially would mean your first year in school, assuming you do not live there for 1 entire calendar year prior to the fall semester, you will still pay out of state tuition.  There might be the chance it could change at the next semester but I think that's a gamble.

-I've actually seen some schools that TELL you if you establish residence for the first year you can qualify for in state tuition the second year (i.e they give you the heads up regarding establishing residency, changing your car tags, etc so you can pay less!)

Archived