New grad PA in pediatrics

Hey everyone,

I’m a new grad located in Southern California.  I just interviewed at a private practice pediatric office.  They haven’t made me an offer, but are asking me what my salary and benefits requests are.  I’m not sure at all what to ask for.  The hours are 9-5:30.  They are asking for a three year contract.  I would be seeing 20-30 patients per day and splitting my time between 2 offices.  Any advice and guidance would be appreciated.  Thanks!

20-30 patients/day is a lot for a new grad. I work in peds in CO. 4 days/week. See about 10-20 patients/day. 1-2 saturday mornings/month. Base salary is 90k and I make about 10K in bonuses. I have been a PA for 4 years now. As a new grad I was offered 86k with no potential for bonus until after my first year. 401K is 3% match and 3% safe harbor. Benefits decent. 

I'm not sure I would give a number first as then you pigeon hole yourself into a range. I am not sure what SoCal cost of living is. Could you ask what they were thinking starting salary is or what other new grads were started at? Pay also depends on benefits and rest of package. 

Let us know what they end up offering. Good luck!

Agree with the above. I recommend not being the first to shoot out a number. Use the AAPA Salary report as a launching point, but keep in mind reporting bias can misconstrue that data. Also, 20-30 patients in a day is a lot. Even if they are more of an Urgent Care type presentation, as a new grad, you'll be killing yourself seeing that many patients and charting. I'd want them to be clear (read that as written in the agreement) what their expectations are for you in terms of patient schedule template. There are some good threads on this forum about what some of the other PAs see in terms of number of patients per hour/day.

Archived