What are my chances and what should I do to continue preparing?

Hello,

I am a senior college student aiming to obtain my bachelor of science in Biology this coming spring (May 2018). I've recently decided to pursue the PA profession and would like an idea of how I would look upon application, though I don't plan on applying until April 2019. I would like to build my application more before I apply. Any suggestions/advice on what I should do and how I'd look upon applying would be great. 

Planned graduating cGPA: 3.58-3.61

Current cGPA: 3.53

Planned sGPA: 3.59-3.64

Current sGPA: 3.59

Planned HCE upon application: 2,200

Current HCE: 1,500 (Not accurate for all school because this includes volunteering and non-direct patient care healthcare experiences. Plan on getting EMT-B upon graduation and work fulltime for a year before applying. 

Planned Shadowing hours upon graduation: 200+

Current Shadowing hours: ~50-100

Planned GRE: 310 ( Quant: 155 Verb: 155) Will take this coming summer after graduation.

I know these stats are not accurate but I am pretty confident about these predicted stats. Are these good goals? Or do I need more for a particular area? 

Also, should I retake these classes, that I've received not so great grades in?:

General Chem I : 2.5

Medical Terminology: 2.5

College Algebra: 2.0

(I did algebra in highschool and the other two my freshman year. I wasn't very focused then but I show an upward trend. 

Thanks for any advice!

1 hour ago, bhubbs89 said:

Hello,

I am a senior college student aiming to obtain my bachelor of science in Biology this coming spring (May 2018). I've recently decided to pursue the PA profession and would like an idea of how I would look upon application, though I don't plan on applying until April 2019. I would like to build my application more before I apply. Any suggestions/advice on what I should do and how I'd look upon applying would be great. 

Planned graduating cGPA: 3.58-3.61

Current cGPA: 3.53

Planned sGPA: 3.55-3.64

Current sGPA: 3.54

Planned HCE upon application: 2,200

Current HCE: 1,500 (Not accurate for all school because this includes volunteering and non-direct patient care healthcare experiences. Plan on getting EMT-B upon graduation and work fulltime for a year before applying. 

Planned Shadowing hours upon graduation: 200+

Current Shadowing hours: ~50-100

Planned GRE: 310 ( Quant: 155 Verb: 155) Will take this coming summer after graduation.

I know these stats are not accurate but I am pretty confident about these predicted stats. Are these good goals? Or do I need more for a particular area? 

Also, should I retake these classes, that I've received not so great grades in?:

General Chem I : 2.5

Medical Terminology: 2.5

College Algebra: 2.0

(I did algebra in highschool and the other two my freshman year. I wasn't very focused then but I show an upward trend. 

Thanks for any advice!

Although it is kind of hard to give advice on anticipated stats it looks like you are on the right track. The EMT-B is a good option to get quality HCE, your GPA is pretty solid and that GRE score is a good goal to have. On the other grades and retaking them, if the algebra, med term and chem are not above the minimum for the schools you are applying for then yes you would need to retake them. Typically above a C is the cutoff but that can be a B- depending on the school. If they are above that minimum unless you are super confident of getting A's it may not make a huge difference to your GPA as they will most likely average at a B or so. If that is the case it may be more beneficial to take other upper division classes if you want to raise your GPA.

Other than that the best advice is to do your research on what schools you want to apply to. Look at their average accepted stats and see if yours are similar, that is generally a good gauge of how competitive you will be. Every school is a little different in what they are looking for in an applicant and you also want to find a school where you are a good fit as well.

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Kyrah1988
      Hi all,
      I am a third time CASPA user and I am looking for some slither of hope. I didn’t do well at all my first three years of Undergraduate. My cGPA is 2.4 and sGPA is 2.75. Not any better. I am a non traditional student and have not attended school since 2014. I also have over 11000 HCE. I wanted to know are there any PA programs out there that have grade replacement or grade forgiveness. I wanted a more updated list. Any help will be greatly appreciated!! Stay healthy my people. 
    • By futurepa1998
      Do I have a chance?
      I’m struggling to decide if I should apply for this cycle or not due to my gpa and PCE. I graduated last august with a bachelors in biology. I’m 23 btw. 
      Cumulative Gpa before post bacc credits-2.98
      Sci GPA-2.65
      Cumulative gpa after post bacc-3.17 (32 credits)
      Sci gpa after-3.10
      Post bacc cgpa- 3.98 sgpa- 4.00
      PCE hours as a CNA~1500
      Medical assistant~ 400
      HCE as a Pathology Tech~ 1360
      LOR- one from MD that I worked with, one from a PA I shadowed, and one from a former boss
      Shadowing~150 hours 
      Leadership Hours~80 hours 
      Volunteer~150 hours
      Taking the GRE this month 
      My GPA was low in my undergrad bc of going through personal circumstances and recently learning that I have ADHD. After finding out my diagnosis I completely changed how I studied and I had an upward trend my senior year and during this post bacc.
    • By patelp
      I would love to get some guidance of previous or current Canadians applying to PA schools in USA. 
      Thank you! 🙂
    • By TannerH
      I am having a great deal of anxiety and stress regarding applying to schools this coming month. As I am sure a ton of Pre-PA students are, I am finding myself wondering if I am "good enough" or have done enough to stand out to PA programs. I have tried to make myself a well rounded candidate and any recommendations on how to improve would be greatly appreciated! My stats and details are below. 
      Undergraduate degree: Kinesiology and Health Promotion 
      Undergraduate GPA 3.6
      Science GPA: 3.6
      Undergraduate Classes:
      A&P I & II w/ Lab
      General Chem I & II w/ lab
      Organic Chem I w/ lab
      General Biology I w/ lab
      Cell Biology  
      Microbiology w/ lab 
      General psych and Sociology 
      Medical Terminology 
      Statistics 
      Other Classes: 
      Gross Anatomy 
      Biomechanics 
      Exercise Physiology 
      GRE: 298 & 3.5
      Experience: ED Scribe 2,000 hrs
      ED technician: 100 hours (just started)
      PT Aide: 500 hours 
      Shadowing: 75 hours ED PA's 
      50 Hours Orthopedic PA & Surgeon in clinic and OR
      Volunteer hours: 55 
      Collegiate Involvement: College baseball student athlete and team captain
      Kinesiology Club treasurer  

• By KH21444
      Hello!
      I'm currently in my undergrad program taking my prerequisites for PA school. I plan on graduating in the Spring of 2023 and applying for PA school that same year.
      As I begin my PA school research, I keep having self-doubts on my ability to learn the content in PA school, which questions my ability to "make it" as a PA.
      While I am doing well in my undergrad/prerequisite courses, I fear I am not genuinely learning the information - just merely memorizing and doing well on exams. My question is: Will I/How badly will I struggle in PA school if I don't remember/didn't efficiently learn the coursework from prerequisites like Biology/A&P/Chemistry?
      I do not fear applying for PA school/getting accepted (aware that it may not happen the first time I apply), but my current GPA is 3.8 and I've been working full-time as a medical assistant for 3 years (plenty of PCE, HCE & shadowing). However, I fear getting into PA school and having the feeling of "what did I get myself into". I've had PAs that I work for all tell me that I can do it, but I keep having this lingering self-doubt that my ADHD brain and I will not be able to grasps concepts like others will due to my lack of deep understanding during prerequisites (and just having recently been diagnosed with ADHD & still learning what medication works best for me).
      Is this feeling normal?
      Thank you to whoever can give me some honest insight!

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More