differences between Physician Assistant and Physician associate?

Hello friends,

I am new to the group. I am a foreign medical graduate and a greencard holder. I studied medicine for 5.5 years. I am going to apply for Anesthesiology residency, which is very competitive. I am thinking to work as an Anesthesiology Assistant or Physician associate in Anesthesiology. My questions are:
1. What are the differences between these two positions in Anesthesiology?

2. Can I take National Commission for Certification of Anesthesiologist Assistants examination (NCCAA) ?

Any suggestions are welcome... Thank you

3 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

to work as a PA or AA in the US you need to attend one of those programs.....no adv credit for foreign medical training.

Absolutely true.  These fields are separate from that of MD/DO, and require separate training.  The term "assistant" is misleading and they may change it to something else.  Good luck!

8 hours ago, Karki said:

I heard that once you are ECFMG certified after passing USMLE Steps, you get to work as a Physician Assistant in some states. Do you guys know anything about that?   
I am really lost. 

This is not true.  In order to work as a PA you must graduate from a PA program and pass the PANCE. 

If you are applying to anesthesiology residency, as a physician, then is becoming an AA or PA your back up plan?  PAs do not work in anesthesiology like an AA or CRNA can.  Suggest a bit more research on your end. 

8 hours ago, Karki said:

I heard that once you are ECFMG certified after passing USMLE Steps, you get to work as a Physician Assistant in some states. Do you guys know anything about that?   
I am really lost. 

Not true.  They are completely different tracks entirely, barely even related. 

Think of getting a license to drive a car.  This does not allow you to fly an airplane.  Or vice versa.

Here's the statement from our national certifying body:  

If I have a medical degree, can I get certified as a PA without graduating from a PA program?

No. You must graduate from a PA program accredited by ARC-PA or one of its predecessors.

**Even if you have earned a medical degree from another country, you must still graduate from an accredited PA program to take PANCE.

11 hours ago, Karki said:

I am really lost. 

You are thinking about a "Assistant Physician". Please google this and research this topic as you can practice in this capacity with the correct criteria met. 

1 hour ago, camoman1234 said:

You are thinking about a "Assistant Physician". Please google this and research this topic as you can practice in this capacity with the correct criteria met. 

You were right... I googled about Assistant Physician and found about the position that I was looking for. You guys are so much helpful, really appreciate every inputs.

• Administrator
On 10/3/2017 at 7:52 AM, Karki said:

You were right... I googled about Assistant Physician and found about the position that I was looking for. You guys are so much helpful, really appreciate every inputs.

Best wishes, but I think the Assistant Physician (could it POSSIBLY be more confusing?) in the few states that have one requires U.S. or maybe U.S./Canadian medical school graduation.

1 hour ago, Ollivander said:

Just out of pure curiosity what do "assistant physicians" pull annually? What states can they even practice in?

As far as I have seen through my limited research, they can practice in Missouri, http://pr.mo.gov/assistantphysicians.asp and Utah https://le.utah.gov/~2017/bills/hbillint/HB0396.pdf

This is the only page I could find for their 'organization'.

Salary???

Tell me this job listing is not confusing.... https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Moonlight-Exams/jobs/Assistant-Physician-0778665a867174c8?q=Assistant+Physician+Assistant

I can't find any other info on salary...

3 hours ago, PACShrink said:

Tell me this job listing is not confusing.... https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Moonlight-Exams/jobs/Assistant-Physician-0778665a867174c8?q=Assistant+Physician+Assistant

I can't find any other info on salary...

Seems as though they get paid around the same as a PA. That job listing though...I felt like it was all over the place. That would be one that I avoid even if it were a PA listing.

Archived