Jump to content
tmac12

gpa low did not get in this cycle should I do nurse to NP?

Recommended Posts

I have a pretty low gpa and it would take me awhile to get it somewhat competitive to get into PA school. I am thinking about back up plans. One route I have been thinking of is to do absn and then work a year or two then apply to NP or PA school. I prefer the PA model of teaching, but debt wise it makes sense to do NP.  I know this is a longer route to get to my goal, but it is a very attainable route. I also like the fact that it is cheaper and I will have a good job making decent money so I would not be high and dry if life problems come my way.

Another alternative is just spend a whole year retaking all the classes I got Cs in and just boost up my gpa and get more experience hours. My gpa is a 3.0 so that would mean like probably 2 years. 

Another route I was thinking is maybe do MPH then to PA. This route is what a doctor told me to do, but he recommended me to go to medical school. This route would put me in much more debt and is basically an  all or nothing approach. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I were you, BSN>NP would probably be my first choice. It offers good money in the meantime, valuable clinical skills and I know a lot of people in NP school are able to continue working as a nurse while they do it. It is hard to beat those positives as long as you don't mind working as a nurse. Although it may seem like a longer route, I think it offers more stability and a great back up career. Like you said, you might even be able to apply for NP and PA programs at that point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The good news is with the bsn route you can still apply to np/pa route and increase your chances of acceptance for both while collecting high end good experience... You could pick up 2 additional shifts a week as an rn bsn and bring in 6 figures like my friend. I'm in the same boat as you, it took me 3 years, 2 cycles to bring my overall gpa up to a 3.0 with my sciences to a 3.8.

With so many units its taking me 20 units of As to bring up my gpa by 1 point. And I'm collecting clincal hrs as an emt making min wage 

 While I've landed interviews and was waitlisted, i still haven't made the cut. I do feel that you're on the right track accumulating solid clinical hours. UcD ha s a 3 year med program and depending on your area there are entry level masters nursing programs with a plus 1 year np, 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the thought of being a nurse does sound kinda miserable, but its a good option. Most of my Cs were freshman and sophomore year when I was immature and having fun a lot. So a lot of the classes are low division. however I just want to get a stable job and make decent money right now. The thought of continuing to scrape by for measly wage is miserable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ChristineQLe said:

The good news is with the bsn route you can still apply to np/pa route and increase your chances of acceptance for both while collecting high end good experience... You could pick up 2 additional shifts a week as an rn bsn and bring in 6 figures like my friend. I'm in the same boat as you, it took me 3 years, 2 cycles to bring my overall gpa up to a 3.0 with my sciences to a 3.8.

With so many units its taking me 20 units of As to bring up my gpa by 1 point. And I'm collecting clincal hrs as an emt making min wage 

 While I've landed interviews and was waitlisted, i still haven't made the cut. I do feel that you're on the right track accumulating solid clinical hours. UcD ha s a 3 year med program and depending on your area there are entry level masters nursing programs with a plus 1 year np, 

 

do you plan on doing the absn route too if you don't get in? Also what is your thoughts on direct entry np program is it worth it? Absn or direct entry?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
do you plan on doing the absn route too if you don't get in?

No, but just sharing info with you about an entry level master's program in case you were interested in one, I haven't taken physics and currently taking Spanish and biochemistry at cc to try and boost up gpa that's another option for you too


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, ChristineQLe said:


No, but just sharing info with you about an entry level master's program in case you were interested in one, I haven't taken physics and currently taking Spanish and biochemistry at cc to try and boost up gpa that's another option for you too


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you plan to continue try for pa until you get in?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup, preparing for my third cycle while waiting around for second cycle results -- first cycle 4 schools, 2 interviews. 2nd cycle 17 schools so far, adding on more today since 0 interviews so far. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, ChristineQLe said:

Yup, preparing for my third cycle while waiting around for second cycle results -- first cycle 4 schools, 2 interviews. 2nd cycle 17 schools so far, adding on more today since 0 interviews so far. 

do you have a back up plan? I don't think I can wait couple more years to get in. I need to get my life started, parents been on my ass for awhile since they are getting older. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Time best gift i could give anything i have old parents too, 70. Cancer. Htn, dm. i just got rejected by 2 More schools today. Applied to21this cycle so far. Just heard back from one that i applied to last night got rejected. I have 6 months to come up with $20k to apply to all 229 schools, gotta finish up biochemistry, Spanish, and take physics. I'm getting published and if that isn't enough then it ain't my time yet and I'll keep being an EMT and caregiver.

Its stupid i know, i could go the np route, have the same duties and make more $$ I'm just stubborn even when things arent working in my favor.

I know of someone who finished up md but didnt match for residency and is on their third cycle for pa school. Its all a test of grit and how much bs you can handle.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ChristineQLe said:

Time best gift i could give anything i have old parents too, 70. Cancer. Htn, dm. i just got rejected by 2 More schools today. Applied to21this cycle so far. Just heard back from one that i applied to last night got rejected. I have 6 months to come up with $20k to apply to all 229 schools, gotta finish up biochemistry, Spanish, and take physics. I'm getting published and if that isn't enough then it ain't my time yet and I'll keep being an EMT and caregiver.
Its stupid i know, i could go the np route, have the same duties and make more $$ I'm just stubborn even when things arent working in my favor.
I know of someone who finished up md school and is on their third cycle for pa school. Its all a test of grit and how much bs you can handle.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're really gonna apply to all those schools..?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ChristineQLe said:

Time best gift i could give anything i have old parents too, 70. Cancer. Htn, dm. i just got rejected by 2 More schools today. Applied to21this cycle so far. Just heard back from one that i applied to last night got rejected. I have 6 months to come up with $20k to apply to all 229 schools, gotta finish up biochemistry, Spanish, and take physics. I'm getting published and if that isn't enough then it ain't my time yet and I'll keep being an EMT and caregiver.
Its stupid i know, i could go the np route, have the same duties and make more $$ I'm just stubborn even when things arent working in my favor.
I know of someone who finished up md school and is on their third cycle for pa school. Its all a test of grit and how much bs you can handle.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

damn thats crazy. More power to you. I don't have that amount of money. I just want to get settled with a stable career right now and not have to worry. Cause I know how much harder life can be if I don't have a good career and still dependent on parents. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
You're really gonna apply to all those schools..?

I already did apply to 21. waiting for interviews from 16 schools and need to apply to 4 more non rolling admissions later start date schools by November since i got rejected by 4 so far. For every rejection i get, i replaced it with applications for 2 additional schools. I don't care if it takes me to Alaska as long as i get one yes.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, ChristineQLe said:


I already did apply to 21. waiting for interviews from 16 schools and need to apply to 4 more non rolling admissions later start date schools by November since i got rejected by 4 so far. For every rejection i get, i replaced it with applications for 2 additional schools. I don't care if it takes me to Alaska as long as i get one yes.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Christine, have you tried identifying the weak points in your application and improving on them specifically? Or reaching out to schools? Because that is seriously a lot of money. :/

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a solid science gpa now 3.8 i freakin aced organic chemistry, and 1000 volunteer hours, 2000 plus emt hours and 2100 mental health and caregiver hrs, 10 years of business experience, good lors from professor, 2 pas and work supervisor they honestly want me to get in so i can share good news with them since I've done a lot for the clinic and helped out a lot of my labmates

 

Its just my Weak point is my overall gpa from UCLA was 2.69 took me 3 years to bring it up to a 3.05 overall cause i was busy working 50 60 hours a week while doing school with the crazy quarter system and la traffic, i have doubled shadowing hours per feedback

 

 

 

Last year i was really close was on the high wait list but didn't make the cut. Soo just taking and acing more classes pretending i got rejected to prepare for a third cycle... My eggs are expiring in 9 years so i still have time

 

 

Anyone reading this want to contribute to my go fund me page? I'll be your best friend :)

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ChristineQLe said:

I have a solid science gpa now 3.8 i freakin aced organic chemistry, and 1000 volunteer hours, 2000 plus emt hours and 2100 mental health and caregiver hrs, 10 years of business experience, good lors from professor, 2 pas and work supervisor they honestly want me to get in so i can share good news with them since I've done a lot for the clinic and helped out a lot of my labmates

 

Its just my Weak point is my overall gpa from UCLA was 2.69 took me 3 years to bring it up to a 3.05 overall cause i was busy working 50 60 hours a week while doing school with the crazy quarter system and la traffic, i have doubled shadowing hours per feedback

 

 

 

Last year i was really close was on the high wait list but didn't make the cut. Soo just taking and acing more classes pretending i got rejected to prepare for a third cycle... My eggs are expiring in 9 years so i still have time

 

 

Anyone reading this want to contribute to my go fund me page? I'll be your best friend :)

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

You sound like an ideal candidate, even with your overall GPA. What gives? I really hope you get in this year, because applying to >200 school seems like over-kill especially with stats like yours. I got an email from PAMO stating that the PAEA in collaboration with CASPA found that admissions committees base 65% of their interview offer decisions off the applicant's personal statement, so maybe revamping your PS might give you a huge edge? Because looking at your stats, I don't know what else the issue could be (unless you have a super low GRE score). And the fact that you got a(n) interview(s) last cycle and were waitlisted points to one of two things: possibly interviewing late in the cycle or not having refined your interviewing skills enough.

P.S. I would definitely contribute to your GoFundMe if I weren't already in crippling debt from this whole process. :(

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
You sound like an ideal candidate, even with your overall GPA. What gives? I really hope you get in this year, because applying to >200 school seems like over-kill especially with stats like yours. I got an email from PAMO stating that the PAEA in collaboration with CASPA found that admissions committees base 65% of their interview offer decisions off the applicant's personal statement, so maybe revamping your PS might give you a huge edge? Because looking at your stats, I don't know what else the issue could be (unless you have a super low GRE score). And the fact that you got a(n) interview(s) last cycle and were waitlisted points to one of two things: possibly interviewing late in the cycle or not having refined your interviewing skills enough. P.S. I would definitely contribute to your GoFundMe if I weren't already in crippling debt from this whole process. :(

 

I think the main reason why I am overcompensating this cycle and applying to a lot is because last cycle I only applied to four schools. Schools where I was waitlisted they only interviewed 70 to 100 people for 23 to 26 spots. you are correct I actually had 2 late interviews which is why even though I was on the highwait list i still didnt make the cut. they interviewed about 12 people per interview day and only accepted one to two people per interview day so even though I do feel that I'm pretty awesome it's still not good enough.

I tweaked my essay a little bit this cycle but I will be honest I didn't want to take the risk to change it out completely even though I wrote a separate statement because my first essay got me interviews so i wanted to play it safe.

I really wish I knew the algorithm to PA school acceptance I could erase away all our woes but I narrowed it down to three things it's just smarts, consistency and a bit of luck on your side.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, ChristineQLe said:

I think the main reason why I am overcompensating this cycle and applying to a lot is because last cycle I only applied to four schools. Schools where I was waitlisted they only interviewed 70 to 100 people for 23 to 26 spots. you are correct I actually had 2 late interviews which is why even though I was on the highwait list i still didnt make the cut. they interviewed about 12 people per interview day and only accepted one to two people per interview day so even though I do feel that I'm pretty awesome it's still not good enough.

I tweaked my essay a little bit this cycle but I will be honest I didn't want to take the risk to change it out completely even though I wrote a separate statement because my first essay got me interviews so i wanted to play it safe.

I really wish I knew the algorithm to PA school acceptance I could erase away all our woes but I narrowed it down to three things it's just smarts, consistency and a bit of luck on your side.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

I really wish you the best. You seem like a good candidate overall despite the low cgpa. I thought many schools would heavily take science gpa into consideration since yours is so high. I'm sure you don't need to apply to that many schools.. A bit of luck is definitely a factor though.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[mention=134550]ChristineQLe[/mention] Hey, can I ask why your friend completed their MD and decided to become a PA? I don't quite understand the logic behind this. 

Didn't get residency


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[mention=134550]ChristineQLe[/mention] Wait did they get residency or did they reject an offer in Kansas? 

 

Did not match for residency and

 

does not want to move to missouri (where they can be an AP associate physician (this is my guess of their situation they don't want to move) they are an acquaintance so as you can imagine it's a sensitive topic for them and i don't know the full details, the struggle is real and i can imagine how frustrating it is.

 

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[mention=134550]ChristineQLe[/mention] Wait did they get residency or did they reject an offer in Kansas? 

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/828255

assistant physicians have graduated medical school and passed the first 2 sections of the licensing exam. They must be approved by the Missouri Board of Healing Arts and must find a physician willing to collaborate with them. It will likely take the board a year t

 

The Missouri State Medical Association (MSMA) helped draft the legislation and said it is necessary because a physician shortage especially in underserved areas has limited access to care. Missouri last year was listed by the federal government as 1 of the 10 most medically underserved states in the nation.

 

Meant to say Missouri

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow that's interesting. Thanks for replying. That sucks about the residency, pretty ridiculous honestly. I think there's way less risk for us, even though some PA schools can still be pretty expensive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More