Hello everyone,

I was hoping someone could shed some light on my situation. I am currently a paramedic, and have over 10,000 HCE. I was working as a firefighter recruit in the academy and unfortunately got injured twice. I was forced to resign and started working as a paramedic again. I love medicine and I have been working on my undergrad for the past 1.5 years. Currently a senior and all of my prereqs are finished (sgpa 3.7). I have an upward trend in my GPA, which was initially terrible (had bad GPA about 8 years ago when I was going through family issues and wasn't focused in school). I also am starting a pre pa club at my university, and will have a couple hundred hours of Volunteer work. My question is, If I apply to schools that allow me to apply pending my undergrad degree, how does CASPA calculate my GPA, considering I am not completely done and there are some missing credits which could potentially raise my cGPA.

Thanks !!

CASPA will just calculate your GPAs based on what is completed at the time you apply. You can list "in progress" or planned courses, but those will not be calculated into your official CASPA GPA. Later on when those classes are complete, you can ask the programs you applied to (and some will list on their website already if they want you to do this) if they would like or will accept an updated transcript so then they can take into consideration those new grades. You will also list when your expected degree/graduation completion date is so that programs can make sure you will have your degree complete by the time their program starts.

Be aware that if your cGPA without the "in progress" grades will not meet a program's minimum GPA requirement, that could potentially cause a hang up so I would discuss that with the prospective programs if your cGPA will be on that edge.

CASPA will break down your GPA in tons of different ways. I would suggest reading through the CASPA FAQs a ton of times to make sure you understand what their GPA and transcript process is like.

Sounds like you have some great experiences!

Archived