I was just accepted and will be looking for a new laptop as well.  I am in the same situation and do not plan to use a macbook unless it is highly suggested. I also like the microsoft surface mainly because of the versatility.

This is what my program suggests:

Hardware

• Modern, network-aware operating system
    • Windows 7 or above, Mac OS Mavericks or above
  • WiFi Wireless network capability
    • 802.11n is strongly recommended
  • Sound capable with headphone jack
  • At least one USB port
  • Long life battery*
  • Printer

Software

• Malware protection
    • Current, fully-patched operating system
    • Anti-virus software installed and up to date
    • Anti-spyware software installed and up to date
  • Modern, standards-compliant Web browser
    • Google Chrome, Vivaldi, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge, Safari, or Opera are good choices.
  • Standards-based email client
    • Must be capable of accessing campus email.
    • Some students may wish to use the campus email exclusively.
  • Standard "run time" environment for Java programs
  • Software to read/write Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint formats
  • Ability to read PDF files

* Laptop batteries have a limited life span. It is very common for students to experience less than one hour battery life. This is a sign that the battery is old and should be replaced. Given the length of the school day, we strongly encourage students to replace old, failing batteries; and invest in a second spare battery. The Lithium ion (LiON) battery type is preferred.

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By MishaShisha
      Hey Guys!
      This may sound silly to some of you but I’m going through my second month of PA school and although academically I’m doing ok (although it’s a struggle) I’m having a hard time clicking with classmates. I attend a small program that has 41ppl. We have a few quiet people who are like ghosts and disappear the moment they get the chance and everyone else is either in their own clique or the f***ng life of the party.... 24/7! I’m 30, tired, and just trying to stay sane, alive, and PASS this brutally damned year. Because I don’t go drinking with them every weekend, I’m like an outsider. 
      To make matters worse, the adcoms made the wonderful decision of accepting an odd number of people. To make the story short: every SINGLE time we do partner stuff, so every week, I’m left standing alone as lucky #41... 
      Anyone else experience this? I am social and talk to a lot of people and have interacted in lab and in clinical. But at the end of the day, I don’t feel like I’ve made friends and this partner thing is driving me crazy! I worked so hard to get here and am paying so much, I feel like I shouldn’t have to worry about this for the rest of the year.
      Should I just bite the bullet and accept this will be the rest of the year? Is it really important to make connections given im guaranteed a job when I get out? I’m baffled how quickly people have become so close in a month... especially when some of those people have already claimed they’re going back to their state home towns once this is over... and have even rotations lined up for out of state... WTF?!
    • By Abigaillorenzana
      I am currently finishing my bachelors degree online. Will a bachelors in science be sufficient enough to apply for a PA program? Will obtaining it from online be an issue? Thank you 
    • By Turbo
      Hello, I want to make this short and sweet. My wife will be starting a PA program this fall. I know she is more than capable. She is very knowledgeable and she will make an excellent PA. However, I want to try to support her and give her some encouragement. That said, I want to write a short book with advice from current PAs/Students/Dr. My hope is she will be able to refer to this for tips and support whenever she is struggling. I would greatly appreciate it if you all could give me your best advice for new students/PAs. The advice can be about anything. Examples: how to study, manage stress, enjoy yourself, be a good PA/medical student/Dr., what to focus on, student loan debt, balance daily life with school, etc. Like I said any tips would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to PM me with your name if you would like proper credit and would like to see the finished version of this. I truly appreciate you taking the time to read this. Thank you!

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More