Which Science Courses Should I Retake?

Hello Everyone,

I was hoping to get some feedback on the best science courses to retake to raise my science GPA and better my application as a PA school candidate.

Here is a little background on my application:

I have 3,000+ hours of healthcare & patient care experience. These experiences include certified EMT, ED Scribe, PT Aide, Kinesiology Wellness Intern, as well as experience shadowing multiple PA/MD (both clinically and during surgery). Majority of the experience is considered direct patient care.

My GRE scores include 152 Verbal, 152 Quantitative, 4.5 Writing

Currently, my science GPA (via CASPA) is a 3.23 and my cumulative GPA (via CASPA) is a 3.29. 

This year is my second year applying to PA school. I have currently received four denials, with five applications pending response. Last year I was interviewed and waitlisted at a school. However, I have already heard from the previously waitlisted school and was not invited for an interview this year. After contacting the schools who have already denied my application for this current cycle, it seems to be that my application is lacking in the science GPA. It was recommended that I take more science courses to increase my GPA. 

Therefore, would it be more beneficial for me to take one or two graduate level science courses or should I retake previously lacking prerequisite science courses. If I should retake previously lacking prerequisite science courses, would it be more beneficial for me to retake Physiology ( C+ during undergrad), Chemistry II ( C during undergrad) or some form of Exercise Physiology ( C during undergrad). These are my lowest science-based course grades from undergraduate. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as I will be looking into class for the Spring 2018 with hopes of being more successful during the 2018-2019 application cycle.

Thanks!!

• 2 weeks later...

The PA program I attended considered applicants cumulative and science GPA. As you may know various programs require certain courses example: nutrition, biochemistry, psychology. I would advise making sure all classes are completed for the programs you are applying. My program specifically looked for high grades in Anatomy, Physiology, and Microbiology. A solid understanding of A & P were foundational for success in the program.  May be worth retaking those. Good luck! 

First of all, good job on persevering through this process and for taking the initiative to get feedback from the schools that you applied to! That is an important characteristic for a future PA.

Second, I would re-take the classes the you were lacking in. You should focus on your pre-requisites, rather than adding on other graduate level science courses that may be irrelevant to the application. Try to re-take both the physiology and chemistry II courses. 

You can do it!

Archived