Psychiatry Work Not Considered as Clinical Experience...

Greetings,

I was a bit concerned as I had a conversation with an admissions rep today who informed me that all of my clinical experience in psychiatry would not be considered as medical experience. I work in a very procedure based practice dealing with very diverse patient populations and have worked with some extremely severe pathology, so I was crest fallen to discover that this program doesn't view this as viable experience. We do a procedure which is considered the step down from electroconvulsive therapy and I directly administer these sessions and take patient histories and do psych ratings scales and am trained as a neurotechnologist. These therapies must by law be prescribed by a licensed psychiatrist and they're covered by all major insurers. I'm extremely concerned now that I won't meet the necessary requirements for most programs now. I'm curious if anyone else with a similar background has ever come up against this setback. I work for a triple boarded MD/psych, so I'm really confused as to why this wouldn't constitute medical experience. We work with veterans suffering from PTSD and also do med management for addictions patients. Yikes. Hoping this may be exclusive to this one program. Thanks in advance for any insights.

I do not think you should take a conversation with one admissions rep to mean that all schools will reject your experience as HCE. Email a few more programs to get a better sense of what's out there. If a school is willing to accept scribing as HCE, then I would be surprised if they didn't accept your position. Good luck! Stay positive!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived