PS Ethics issue

This is a serious ethical violation. Thinking back to undergrad and PA school, I recall every class syllabus and university have a policy WRT submitting work in your name completed by someone else. That being said, does it happen YES. Should you worry, probably not. Will the school find out.... Probably not.

Cheaters never prosper. This 'friend' will not go far in life. I really don't see how someone else writing a personal statement will benefit anyone. If the statement contains things that are not true, exaggerations, flat out lies... They will be discovered in time.

My Two cents - Find a new friend.

Yes they could find out. She would likely have her application tossed into the no pile. If she were to get in and then it was found out during the program, she could be dismissed. This is the reason why many programs have writing prompts during interview sessions. It's pretty easy, from my experience, to spot the people who didn't write their statement or at the very least had A professionals help. 

On 9/23/2017 at 3:29 PM, PACShrink said:

This is a serious ethical violation. Thinking back to undergrad and PA school, I recall every class syllabus and university have a policy WRT submitting work in your name completed by someone else. That being said, does it happen YES. Should you worry, probably not. Will the school find out.... Probably not.

Cheaters never prosper. This 'friend' will not go far in life. I really don't see how someone else writing a personal statement will benefit anyone. If the statement contains things that are not true, exaggerations, flat out lies... They will be discovered in time.

My Two cents - Find a new friend.

I agree that it is a serious ethical violation. I am definitely going to stay out of it but it is aggravating how I am struggling to do everything myself while she has people writing her personal statement and increasing hours for her work. She will probably get in this semester while I submit subpar essays compared to hers and not get in. 

On 9/23/2017 at 3:39 PM, marktheshark89 said:

Yes they could find out. She would likely have her application tossed into the no pile. If she were to get in and then it was found out during the program, she could be dismissed. This is the reason why many programs have writing prompts during interview sessions. It's pretty easy, from my experience, to spot the people who didn't write their statement or at the very least had A professionals help. 

Thank you, you're right that there are interview sessions where she could reveal that English is not her first language. I did not know that programs have writing prompts during interview sessions, it is good to know that this is the case. I am hoping that the schools in Southern California do this. 

43 minutes ago, nedaoshie said:

I agree that it is a serious ethical violation. I am definitely going to stay out of it but it is aggravating how I am struggling to do everything myself while she has people writing her personal statement and increasing hours for her work. She will probably get in this semester while I submit subpar essays compared to hers and not get in. 

Why do you feel your essay will be 'sub par'? Write a true, from the heart honest personal statement. Trust yourself, if you are meant to get in, you shall.

10 minutes ago, PACShrink said:

Why do you feel your essay will be 'sub par'? Write a true, from the heart honest personal statement. Trust yourself, if you are meant to get in, you shall.

I'm just a little worried because Organic Chemistry will be ending the same day applications need to be turned in, October 1st. Of course my focus will be my organic chemistry grade and so my essay will most likely be subpar, especially since my friend is in the same class and she is getting her essay done by a professional. She will get the A and also get into PA school. 

I should stop calling her my friend, I am upset at her lack of ethics.

10 minutes ago, nedaoshie said:

I'm just a little worried because Organic Chemistry will be ending the same day applications need to be turned in, October 1st. Of course my focus will be my organic chemistry grade and so my essay will most likely be subpar, especially since my friend is in the same class and she is getting her essay done by a professional. She will get the A and also get into PA school. 

I should stop calling her my friend, I am upset at her lack of ethics.

Wait, are you waiting until the deadline to submit your application??

Just now, LadyNichiavelli said:

Wait, are you waiting until the deadline to submit your application??

Unfortunately I was unable to do it before since I didn't have a lot of my prerequisites. I am applying to multiple schools and I noticed that a lot of them are due on October 1st. I know that will decrease my chances. A school that I do want to go to is due November 1 and it is near my house. If I apply October 1st then my goal school will receive my application early.

That's my plan, I might have to reapply, but if I do then I can increase my work hours and take the GRE. 

It can be frustrating to see cheaters "succeed." It's the same feeling you have when you studied hard and got a B on an exam and know the other person got an A with cheating. This happens not only in academics but in the corporate world as well. People cutting corners or cheating to move up the ladder.

Ultimately you cannot compare yourself to anyone else. Focus on doing things with INTEGRITY. If your "friend" get in and you don't you can do one of two things:

1) Pout that the world isn't fair.

2) Realize cheaters are part of this world, but they don't change how you go about your business with integrity. 

At the end of the day you can sleep at night and people who cut corners might "get in" but they won't last if they keep up that way.

Bottom line: Run your race. Run hard. Work hard. Do it with integrity. Don't look over to who is ahead of you or behind you in the lanes next to you.

Good Luck!

Archived