An alternative to the PANRE?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, EMEDPA said:

They are likely going to propose a cme only based panre alternative....that costs the same....I'm just going to keep taking the test...

I think If they did it well I would do that. Being in a specialty we don’t get a lot of general medicine refreshing or even updates with new things. If they put it together as a great refresher and with new up to date guidelines and meds for managment of common diseases I think it would be a good alternative to do once in a 10 year cycle

it would probably be an ongoing maintenance of certification thing like some of the docs have to do. read an article every month indefinitely and take a quiz at the end. no way nccpa will ever lose money on anything so they charge you 25 dollars/mo to receive the article and grade the quiz so every 2 years you put out $500 or so...indefinitely.....no thanks....I work in a field that exposes me to the full range of primary care medicine, but could understand why someone working in a narrow field would find this appealing.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, got an email today regarding the alternative to PANRE.  It is nothing more than yet another test.  But this one will be broken up in to 8, - 25 question tests...1 each quarter for the 2 year cycle.  It can be taken from home but it is essentially the same as going to a test center.  The tests are timed and graded and need to pass them.  I think this is ridiculous.  How is this any better than what we currently have?  So now you'll have to study/review constantly throughout the 2 year cycle?  Anyone else have any thoughts on this?  

Yeah, I'm not thrilled with the "alternative."  It's basically a slow-motion PANRE spread out over 2 years.  You have 1-5 minutes to answer the questions, which doesn't give you time to "access reference materials" as they say.  You would be in constant study/test mode.  In short, it's just another $350 test.  I've been in GI almost 20 years and am dreading taking the PANRE next year.  My ability to continue working in the profession will hinge on my knowledge of pediatric dermatology or EKG interpretation or things I haven't seen since PA school in the 90s.

I could not agree with you more.  I’ve been doing this for 15 yrs and the testing is the most anxiety ridden ordeal in these last 15 yrs...getting old...passing as standardized test mean as nothing in regards to your ability to practice as a PA in the “real world”.  After passing our initial PANCE, there should be no further testing, only CME in my opnion.

For those of us with test anxiety I would rather do the questions over 2 years-and be able to have back up material in front of me instead of memorization of every stinking detail. Even though I work in Emergency Medicine and exposed to a lot, I do not take tests well and is a poor gauge of my knowledge. Thank you NCCPA-even though they're making more money-the extra price is worth less stress in my life for me!

I'm breathing another sigh of relief.  I took PANRE in 2016 and am on the 10 year cycle.  Will be retired by 2026.  No More PANRE for me!!!!!  I dodged the bullet. 

The test is timed and you only have 1-5 minutes per question.  You are not gonna have enough time to look much up.  You will basically be in "test mode" studying all the time by having to take an exam every quarter for 2 years.  If we have to test, I will stick with the current format.  At least you get it all out of the way in one day long test session...

I'm still on 6 year cycle and have PANRE due 2019.  Eligible of course to take PANRE in 2018.  I'm not sure what I think about this.  On one hand it seems nice to be able to sit down and go through 25 questions whenever/wherever I would like, but then I don't like spreading it out over 2 years.  I'd rather just take the PANRE and be done with it in one day and then know where I stand.  Will be interesting to see what happens with all this.  What are initial thoughts from everyone who will be eligible for this pilot?

Will these mini-tests be a random collection or will they be organized into specialities- like all OB-GYN?

The NCCPA makes money from PAs having take the PANCE and the PANRE. I would assume we will always have a test that we will be required to take so their cash flow stays up.

An alternative is still an alternative. I'm not thrilled about this option, but I like it more than putting everything on the line in one day.

12 hours ago, boydsl said:

Here it is!! Fresh off press 2 October 2017!

http://www.nccpa.net/alternative-to-panre

i think this means if my certification expires 12/31/18, I can be part of pilot??

The way I understand it, yes.

I'm on board. I don't see why someone wouldn't want to do it if eligible. It's 25 questions every 3 months. Sit down with Up To Date in one window and the test questions in the next.

Archived