Most important factors for choosing a school?

• Administrator

Life in PA school is occasionally hell. (well, not really, but it is likely the most intense and demanding thing any of us will have ever done on purpose, except for the veterans here who've been to a special forces school)

Which program will you feel most comfortable at when you hit the wall and are close to your breaking point?

Go there.

I am at the same cross road.....and I have no idea myself....so if you figure out how to best make a decision....let me know.....

In my case, I like both Duke and Nova and could make a case to support a decision to go to either school....

To the OP, I will tell you what my sister told me tonight...she said, "In this situation, there is no wrong decision.....some times in life you have to just follow your heart, even if you dont know where it is taking you or why".....so my question to you is this.....where is your heart telling you to go?

Since you applied to both schools I assume you already determined that each of them were acceptable programs to attend. At this point just go based off how you felt at the interview. At my top choice I just felt really comfortable, impressed, and excited at the interview... I truly fell in love with it. If you didnt get that feeling for either program then take a look at other factors like cost, location, PANCE pass rate etc. Good luck!

No joke, flip a coin. Call one school heads and the other, tails. How do you feel after the flip? If you feel great, go with it. If you feel kinda queasy, that's a sign that the other school is probably where you really want to go.

Good luck and congrats! It's a predicament, but not the worst one. :)

School is more at Duke, living expenses are more at Nova....so when you take both factors into account, total 1st year cost is within a few thousand dollars (like an estimated 2,000) of one another....my family is in south Florida but (my parents) are up in NC/Raleigh every 6 weeks or so...my sister is in Orlando but spends holidays in NC about 2 hours from Duke.....I'm recently single, no kids, meaning I'm free to go anywhere without having to factor that in.....

As far as the educational experience, both are great programs. As far as professional and political connections, both hold their own. I have nothing but respect respect for educators and leadership of both programs. I think the best advice given was from Rev. Where will you fill most comfortable should you "...hit the wall and are close to your breaking point?"

LesH

My interviewer (a mid 50s genetics professor) gave me a fist bump after a joke. I knew then where I was going.

Seriously, he just made me feel comfortable and that I really could be myself.

Couldn't agree more. One of my interviewers knew who Iggy Pop and The Stooges were. It was a done deal after that. But seriously, make a list of pros and cons of each program. The bottom line is, you'll be a PA either way.

There is a subreddit for problems like these:

http://www.reddit.com/r/firstworldproblems/

lol, seriously though, congrats on your dilemma. Personally, I would never choose a school in florida due to the substandard PA laws about perscribing narcotics etc. but I plan to do EM so that may not matter as much to you.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

There is a subreddit for problems like these:

http://www.reddit.com/r/firstworldproblems/

lol, seriously though, congrats on your dilemma. Personally, I would never choose a school in florida due to the substandard PA laws about perscribing narcotics etc. but I plan to do EM so that may not matter as much to you.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

You don't have to practice in a particular state just because you went to school there.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I'm in the same dilemma having to choose between Emory and Duke. Both are great programs, and I have to make a decision quick

Just out of curiosity, how did Emory compare to Duke? I was scheduled for an interview there this Monday but declined it last week. I didnt want to add more variables to the mix....I think I have made my final decision!!!!!!!!!!

duchesskre: Emory's PA program was just as wonderful as Duke's PA program. Emory is located in Atlanta so a bigger city than Durham and also has excellent faculty and facilites. The only difference I could think of between Emory and Duke is the length of time of the program. Emory is 28 months (16 months didactic) while Duke is 24 months in duration. Have you decided to attend Duke?

Archived