pa-s interested in ER

Hello! I'm currently a PA student in my didactic year. I'm very interested in emergency medicine but wasn't a scribe in the ER or a paramedic so don't have much pre-PA school emergency experience. Is it still possible to get into the ER post-graduation or do you suggest I think about other options? Any ideas for how to set myself apart as a PA student wanting to be in emergency medicine? 

Thank you!

Certainly possible despite not having the background you've described. Suggestions while you're still a PA student include:

• Doing as many electives in ER focused rotations as possible (Peds-ED, Trauma, Urgent Care, etc)
  • Thesis in an ER related topic (if your school has a thesis requirement)
  • Strongly consider an ER residency. A pay cut for the first 12-18 months (depending on length), but you leave with a very strong background in an ER that sets you world's apart from your non-residency peers

Another vote for doing residency. Doors will open for interviews that wouldn't open even with a year or two experience. I'll be done with residency in December and I was offered an interview at a facility that wasn't even hiring. Interview went well and they created a spot for me. Never would have happened without residency. 

Can you find work without residency? Sure. You can learn on your own in a less structured environment, but you have to be very focused and make sure you put yourself in a good learning environment. 

Archived