New grad, CT surgery job offer

Hey everyone, got my first job offer after graduation and since I'm pretty inexperienced with this stuff, wanted to run it by you guys.

• Cardiothoracic surgery, initial focus on inpatient post-ops, with surgical assisting (EVH, etc.) to follow
  • 106k base salary, exempt, average work week of 50+, so ~ 40.7$/hour
    • Call schedule is 1/3 (may be 1/4 after I start) on weekday nights. $40/night of call, and if called in to the hospital, pay is $47.12/hour.
    • Weekend call also required (every 3rd or 4th weekend), at a rate of $400/weekend, again 47.12/hr if actually called in. 
  • DEA and licensing covered
  • PTO begins to accrue after 90 day (3 month) period; 26 days/year 
  • No mention of CMEs, retirement plans, or malpractice (to be asked about later today)
  • Health plans through staffing agency; the practice will also contribute $735/month towards health insurance.

One other thing to note is that this job is in Oakland (SF Bay Area), CA, so cost of living here is pretty much one of the highest in the country. 

Please let me know your thoughts

For comparison, I started in CT surgery as a new grad 3 years ago, salary was 100k but I was required to do 3 12s per week plus one weekend call per month. 3 weeks PTO, 2500 + 1 week for CME, good retirement and health insurance plan. The thing is, I was in Maryland where the COL is still high, but not as high as the SF area. 

With your contract, salary is good but 50+ hours with exempt status scares me a little. When you calculate your hourly, 40/hr is not acceptable CT surgery wages. You should be getting at least 60+/hr in my opinion. 

Yeah, not that great in any category, really, with the possible exception of the health insurance.  Make sure you get some quality CME time and dollars.  Not far above poverty level around there.

If you want to take this, hit it hard and get that EVH training going as soon as you can.  One year or more of independent EVH and I promise you that you can almost write your own ticket from that point on.  I did some of this Pre-PA and the PAs I knew were printing money. 

11 hours ago, nixietink said:

Coming from someone who lives in the bay area, I wouldn't entertain any offer under at LEAST $120k, especially considering the schedule.

I agree, I do not live in the bay area, but agree about the 120K, I thought that is a good offer for a new grad for the above post. There is an ongoing chat in the pulm/CC new grad thread about cost of living and how much people should at least get paid and I agree, the area matters. 

Just met a friend of mine from California. His new grad offer in CT surgery was 135k in the LA area. 4/5/4/5 schedule, 10 hour days, no required call, optional call only for extra pay. full benefits, health insurance, 3000 cme, 3 weeks pto. Before he'll start making the 135k he needs 3 months training at 50/hr. 135k guaranteed for first 3 years, bumped to 150 k, and if he stays with the team he'll be making 175k after 10 years. 

On 9/25/2017 at 9:58 PM, NJPL1213 said:

Just met a friend of mine from California. His new grad offer in CT surgery was 135k in the LA area. 4/5/4/5 schedule, 10 hour days, no required call, optional call only for extra pay. full benefits, health insurance, 3000 cme, 3 weeks pto. Before he'll start making the 135k he needs 3 months training at 50/hr. 135k guaranteed for first 3 years, bumped to 150 k, and if he stays with the team he'll be making 175k after 10 years. 

That is in the LA area where COL is very high. 135K is nothing in that area. I did a COL from my area (mid west) to LA and it 49% cheaper than LA and housing is 80% where I live. A salary comparison of 135K in LA equals a salary of $68,475 in my area. 

10 hours ago, camoman1234 said:

That is in the LA area where COL is very high. 135K is nothing in that area. I did a COL from my area (mid west) to LA and it 49% cheaper than LA and housing is 80% where I live. A salary comparison of 135K in LA equals a salary of $68,475 in my area. 

I mean that's if you actually live in LA. He's a new grad living 30-45 minutes from LA, so 135 k is pretty good. Lives in a 2 bedroom apartment for 1950/month. He's actually living the dream right now pumping out loan payments and buying an M4 all in his first year. 

9 hours ago, NJPL1213 said:

I mean that's if you actually live in LA. He's a new grad living 30-45 minutes from LA, so 135 k is pretty good. Lives in a 2 bedroom apartment for 1950/month. He's actually living the dream right now pumping out loan payments and buying an M4 all in his first year. 

Does not sound like the dream to me, but whatever works for him. Any update Jason07?

On 9/27/2017 at 10:26 AM, camoman1234 said:

Sadly, LA is even more affordable COL than SF bay area.

• 2 weeks later...

I took a job offer 5 years ago as a new grad in CT Surgery in the Midwest, base salary $118,000, added $ for call cases and productivity bonus above your benchmarks. I left after 2 years and hit $140,000 that last year with the additional $$$. I left there to move back to New England, now have no call, no night, no weekends, we stagger our schedules to cover cases/floor/clinics and hit 40 hours/week and I'm making almost as much as when I left IL. Way better quality of life.

i agree that a new grad could hit $60/hr, I did it very quickly. Once you get the experience you can go anywhere. 

Archived