MBA after becoming a PA-C

Hey guys, 

I know that this was probably discussed in the past, but I just wanted to get some new insight. Has anyone here gotten their MBA after becoming a PA-C? and if so, what are you working in now? Both administration and clinically as a PA? Hospital administration? or did you change it up and work in administration in a totally different field? Additionally was it difficult to balance working as a PA-C and getting the MBA?

I know many of my colleagues and classmates that I graduated with in PA school who have or are currently working towards their MBA. Some of them are doing it online, while others are doing it part time while working. A lot of them work full-time as a PA and take on a few administrative hours for extra income, working as a senior PA, recruiting/hiring manager, APP supervisor, and even positions on the hospital board of trustees. A couple of them ventured out and have pretty prestigious positions in big pharma administration. 

The more PAs I meet, the more I notice that many PAs have their MBA as well. Honestly I'm pretty interested in clinical work and combining it with administrative work, so I am considering entering an online or part-time program in the near future. Any thoughts?

An MBA is kind of a general business degree. In the case of my son, he went from being a communications guy to being the business manager of a law firm. Can open doors, be a help in health care administration, or let you get out of health care completely one day.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, UGoLong said:

An MBA is kind of a general business degree. In the case of my son, he went from being a communications guy to being the business manager of a law firm. Can open doors, be a help in health care administration, or let you get out of health care completely one day.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Thats why i feel like getting an MBA is favorable over getting an MHA, at least for me. Can help me get a health care administration position, but also keep my options open for other positions not in health care. Not saying I want to leave the health care field, but id like to keep options open just in case. 

I have an MHA, not 100% sure if I'll ever use it again. I got it prior to PA school. If I had to go back I'd prob get an MBA. There's nowhere an MHA can take you that an MBA can't - in my opinion. But plenty of places an MBA can take you that an MHA can't. But again, just one guy's opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I had an MBA before going to PA school.

Maybe one day I'll put the business hat back on, figure it might be a doorway to administration/leadership in a few years, if I have the stomach for it then. But for now, I have my head down getting better at medicine.

MBA is handy to get a grasp on where money comes from, what to do with it, where it goes, and to get a handle on the risk/reward involved in those big transactions. My MBA had an operations focus, so we learned a lot about process improvement along the way (lean, Six Sigma, that sort of thing), so that comes in handy when people want to change processes, you can see through a lot of the BS and go right toward the substance of things.

Archived