Applying for CA PA license, extremely worried..

Hello guys,

Sorry about the title, it doesn't really make sense.

I'm currently in PA school. I worked as a respiratory therapist for 7 years. During that time, I was reported to the California respiratory care board for something very silly. It was mostly retaliation against me since I was a union representative. Anyways, it was based on incorrect documentation to keep it short. No patients were put at harm. The charting system we used was a drag and drop system, at times if you are not careful mistakes can happen. My documentation showed incorrect times of administrating meds, and other inconsistencies. Although those meds were actually not given since it doesn't concur with with the eMAR.

This happened too many times to other therapists and nurse so eventually our hospital switched to a different charting system. Unfortunately for me, I got disciplined and suspended for it. My boss told me that this was a serious offense and that she can report me to the board but she won't. I learned from my mistakes and took full responsibility. I know this doesn't reflect on my character. I am an exceptional practitioner and a patient advocate.

Today I just came home from an exam, I was in a good mood, just greeted my wife and kids then it all went down hill after reading that letter. This was an incident that happened over a year ago and I no longer work as a respiratory therapist. The board is giving me an option for probation, scheduled hearing or surrendering my license.

I am worried that this will affect by ability to apply to obtain my license in the state of California (or in general). I called the PA board and they said it all depends on the outcome of this investigation and even then they will investigate it themselves. It can lead to a denial for my PA license, probation, or best case scenario is nothing.

I'm extremely paranoid and stressed out. I'm worried that I'm attending PA school for nothing. Didactic year, 2 kids and a wife is stressful enough but my grades are really good. Right now, my family is living off savings, my wife is unemployed. I thought I would seek some advice here. If anyone can help out it would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well this is a tough one. First a question... how did you get suspended if you weren't reported to the board? Not really relevant but just curious.

First consult an attorney. It may seem like overkill but find one that has dealt with board actions before and get advice. Yes it will cost you but it will be money well spent. Then proceed from there.

In dealing with the PA board be 100% honest and repentant. If they think you are trying to mislead them or are in any way defiant  it is very likely they will body slam you.

Predicting what a board will do is a bit like crystal ball gazing but generally they aren't unreasonable. Here in Texas I knew an orthopedic surgeon who spent 6 years in prison for Medicare fraud and he got out and now has an unrestricted license. A plastic surgeon took picture of a patients breasts in the OR and shared them on a social media site. He was censured, fined some piddly amount of money, and his license wasn't touched. Contrary to the horror stories you might hear they aren't sitting around looking for someone to screw over. They do have some things they don't tolerate and being less than honest is one of them.

Be honest with them and say just what you said here... this is what happened, I made a mistake and I learned from it. They will make you jump through some hoops and it will delay your licensure but I bet in the end it will be OK.

1 hour ago, 924er said:

Hello guys,

Sorry about the title, it doesn't really make sense.

I'm currently in PA school. I worked as a respiratory therapist for 7 years. During that time, I was reported to the California respiratory care board for something very silly. It was mostly retaliation against me since I was a union representative. Anyways, it was based on incorrect documentation to keep it short. No patients were put at harm. The charting system we used was a drag and drop system, at times if you are not careful mistakes can happen. My documentation showed incorrect times of administrating meds, and other inconsistencies. Although those meds were actually not given since it doesn't concur with with the eMAR.

This happened too many times to other therapists and nurse so eventually our hospital switched to a different charting system. Unfortunately for me, I got disciplined and suspended for it. My boss told me that this was a serious offense and that she can report me to the board but she won't. I learned from my mistakes and took full responsibility. I know this doesn't reflect on my character. I am an exceptional practitioner and a patient advocate.

Today I just came home from an exam, I was in a good mood, just greeted my wife and kids then it all went down hill after reading that letter. This was an incident that happened over a year ago and I no longer work as a respiratory therapist. The board is giving me an option for probation, scheduled hearing or surrendering my license.

I am worried that this will affect by ability to apply to obtain my license in the state of California (or in general). I called the PA board and they said it all depends on the outcome of this investigation and even then they will investigate it themselves. It can lead to a denial for my PA license, probation, or best case scenario is nothing.

I'm extremely paranoid and stressed out. I'm worried that I'm attending PA school for nothing. Didactic year, 2 kids and a wife is stressful enough but my grades are really good. Right now, my family is living off savings, my wife is unemployed. I thought I would seek some advice here. If anyone can help out it would be great.

I'm trying to wrap my brain around why the board would care about an incorrect time being documented that didn't have a negative outcome and was accidental.  Why did your boss view this as a serious offense?  And then who reported you?  For the board to give you those options I would think that means they interviewed you and investigated.  Is there more to this story to connect the dots?  They must have found something that they deemed as unethical, illegal, or a patient safety concern.  They don't have someone hand over their license because they accidently charted they gave a med at 7:30 instead of 4:30.  Was this accidental or intentional?

I'm trying to wrap my brain around why the board would care about an incorrect time being documented that didn't have a negative outcome and was accidental.  Why did your boss view this as a serious offense?  And then who reported you?  For the board to give you those options I would think that means they interviewed you and investigated.  Is there more to this story to connect the dots?  They must have found something that they deemed as unethical, illegal, or a patient safety concern.  They don't have someone hand over their license because they accidently charted they gave a med at 7:30 instead of 4:30.  Was this accidental or intentional?

Right, there was absolutely no negative outcome. Like I said, this was retaliation by my boss. I was a union rep. Union reps are huge targets where I work. I'm sure they turned it into a safety concern. The document stated that I was checking patients 3 min apart and that it takes at least 5 min apart. Although in the RT world, this is a normal practice.

It doesn't matter why the charges were brought up; I would forget about the union rep story. Get a lawyer and deal with the nuts and bolts of the complaint. Don't surrender your RT license.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah I'll do that. I learned my lesson. It just sucks that my boss reported me to the board one year after the incident occurring after she knew I was accepted to PA school.

I have no clue how the PA board in California would view this offense. No patients where harmed. It was seriously an honest mistake. I just feel stressed and worried about continuing PA school and accumulating more debt and stress. I mean worst case is I can probably apply at another state?

It sounds like you're still in the "why me" and "what if" phases of stuff like this. It's just another obstacle. As they say in engineering, "Just work the problem!" The other thoughts you're having are just energy vampires and you'll need your energy now more than ever.

Good luck.

It sounds like you're still in the "why me" and "what if" phases of stuff like this. It's just another obstacle. As they say in engineering, "Just work the problem!" The other thoughts you're having are just energy vampires and you'll need your energy now more than ever.

Good luck.

Thanks. Today I feel better and I feel as in I overreacted last night. I'm glad this happened on a Friday, this way I have the entire weekend to clear my mind before starting this next didactic week.

Scheduled hearing for sure, even if you have to take time away from school.  

Lawyer?   I think pay for an initial (free?) consultation and lay it out there - see what they say, go from there.  

I'll agree with others - just don't lie.  Tell them you were sloppy with drag and drop boxes and was doing your paperwork too fast, or not re-checking it thoroughly, and that's something that you should have been paying attention to.  

You can intimate or hint of the retaliation, it looks very bad that they waited a year, but avoid coming out with it unless asked directly.  Sounds like a real fun place to work, man.  Sorry this is happening.   

For sure have a hearing.  Based on the information you provided I don't see this as being a punishable offense.  I'm just surprised the board would go directly to asking you to hand in your license or go on probation without an investigation/hearing first to look at the facts.  Maybe they don't have the man power to investigate everything and hope that some will simply fold and not dispute the accusations. 

For sure have a hearing.  Based on the information you provided I don't see this as being a punishable offense.  I'm just surprised the board would go directly to asking you to hand in your license or go on probation without an investigation/hearing first to look at the facts.  Maybe they don't have the man power to investigate everything and hope that some will simply fold and not dispute the accusations. 

Well they are charging me with negligence of my RT license due to the times between patients being too close together. I seen 9 patients in a row with 2-4 min apart on my documentation. The board said it should take at least 5 min. In reality, an RT would slap a mask on a patient and move on to the next especially when they are busy. This happens everyday. I got into trouble because my boss hated me for being a union rep. Not that this matters. I just hope the PA board doesn't look at this offense and deny my licensure. I'm still in school but it's the worst news someone can get, trust me. That's why I hired a lawyer.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Cideous said:

Hiring a lawyer was smart.

Don't give up your license.

I honestly don't think this will effect your CA license as a PA.  It's not like it was for being drunk on the job or stealing drugs etc.

No I'm keeping my RT license and will fight this but my lawyer said its most likely be probation at WORST but regardless ill have disciplinary action on my license that ill need to disclose to the board. 

right I know it doesn't seem like a huge office, but the language the used on the accusation is extremely nerve racking;

"gross negligence, falsifying patient records, pattern of substandard care"

it just gives me so much paranoia! Also, the incident occurred in 2016 but was reported one year later now in 2017. I will probably apply for my license in 2020 so I'm not sure if the board looks at this as a recent offense or is 4 years a long time?

I spoke to the PA board and they seem very reasonable and even said they give licenses to people who have DUIs within the last 5 years but on a probation basis. obviously the PA board cant give me any answers on my case since I'm not applying. I really don't think my situation was as bad as a DUI but it just sucks I have to start my career like this. 

thanks 

I have no experience with this, but don't give up PA school. You've worked extremely hard to get where you're at, and it seems odd that they came at you with this after a year had passed. Anyway, good luck, keep your head up and don't give up! I'm sure it'll all be ok. No one was harmed, so it shouldn't cause much of an issue, PA wise. 

3 hours ago, TheLastStone said:

I have no experience with this, but don't give up PA school. You've worked extremely hard to get where you're at, and it seems odd that they came at you with this after a year had passed. Anyway, good luck, keep your head up and don't give up! I'm sure it'll all be ok. No one was harmed, so it shouldn't cause much of an issue, PA wise. 

Thank you. its a challenge trying to cope with didactic year while having to deal with this crap/

23 hours ago, 924er said:

Thank you. its a challenge trying to cope with didactic year while having to deal with this crap/

You've gotten this far. We're all pulling for you, and so is your family. This time in school is going to fly by, even though it doesn't seem like it, and you'll be moving on away from it to be a PA. Don't lose sight of your goal because of things out of your control. Keep the fire and keep going. You are there for a reason - don't forget that reason. Good luck

Archived