New Grad CV with successful past career... how to balance?

• Administrator

Graduation is in August, and I'm wondering how I should balance my CV. Prior to PA school, I have 18 years career in IT, roughly 3 helpdesk/support, 5 sysadmin, and 10 in information security, that last bit including 3 years as a first level manager. As such, I have publications, public presentations, a patent, corporate awards, professional certifications (a few I've kept and many I've let lapse). I still get 2-3 inquiries a week from headhunters who've seen my IT resume on a site that scraped it from my personal website (I never actually submitted it anywhere), even though I've been in school for 21 months.

My issue is how much of this I include on my CV for PA work. It's not hard to give the impression that I can handle EMR in my sleep or understand HIPAA, but I look at my efforts at trying to put this all together... and as a hiring manager, I'd be more willing to hire me for an IT security job than a PA job.

How have any of you recent grads with serious non-healthcare pre-PA accomplishments balanced things on your CV's?

I'll give my .02 cents as I am involved in the hiring process where I work. If I were you I would only use 1 bullet and say 18 years IT experience working as sysadmin, information security, and help desk support. Then under that I would say things that reflect positive attributes for being a PA... leadership, making decisions, responsibility, managing... Use your power words here and briefly describe. I would use more then 4-5 lines for all of this. The reason being it doesn't really matter and will probably distract from the rest of your resume. You want to highlight the main things and then move on. Your not applying for an IT job like you stated. I would concentrate on your clinical rotations/health care experience/schooling as this is what a new grad brings to the table.

I agree with Jason. I had 12 years experience in IT project management and have an MBA. I put the MBA down under education and said nothing about my Project Management. It's not really relevant, although I do like Jason's idea of bullet points relating it to being a PA. It will come up in your interview, even if it's just briefly, where you can reiterate the skills you developed during that career which will make you a better PA. I got 5-6 job offers right out of school. Good luck

Archived