chiropractor-led injection clinic job

Hey guys I have another question about something outside the box.  I interviewed with one of these clinics as stated in the title.  It opened my eyes to the possibility and I was wondering if anyone is doing this kind of thing.  

This job entailed a nonstop parade of trigger point injections (with lidocaine or steroid) with the occasional Supartz or B12 injection.  He says that he is not thinking of expanding into testosterone or anything, but could if he wanted to.  He has an MD that pokes his head in from time to time to make everything legal and such.  The PA is there because a chiropractor cannot give injections in my state.  He also has PT's doing their thing, so if you get injured, he can fix the various soft tissue problems with these modalities.  Technically, it's pain management, although in this particular clinic he is drug-averse (no prescribing). Other clinics have their own style of course.

I was there for 2 hours and each encounter took about 5 minutes, with charting taking another 5, it was something a trained monkey could do.  The pitfalls being, it's not exactly the most cerebral medicine and may be tough to sell yourself to another job when time to move on.

The interesting part is that it's very lucrative.  I don't know how much sales pressure he puts on, but everyone seemed to really like the service, and was very pleased with the results.  The pay for the PA was VERY high - especially for a new graduate, training provided. 

I did not take this job as there were some red flags that were not addressed, but just wondering if anyone does this, any thoughts or opinions.  There are other similar jobs out there.  Sorry for the length no time to edit and thanks in advance.  

Sounds like something I might do as a side gig to make some extra money or after I have functionally retired and just want to stay busy but I am always leery of niche clinics that do things in a purely money driven fashion. 

For a new grad it would be a bad fit mostly because they have no experience yet and while they are doing this their book knowledge is evaporating. 

Color me dubious.

I would not take the job either way as it seems to just be lots of volume which means you cannot really spend time with the patient to teach them modifying factors for pain. I am not against chiropractors (there are several on this board that thinks all DC are witches, but I will let them have their opinion...) as they do help, just when ANY one (MD/DO/PA/NP/DC etc) goes into a clinic to get $$$ by volume and quick easy treatment I am truly turned off. This job is for someone with several years of experience and not for a new grad.

The theory behind chiropractology is shamanism.  

There is certainly something to be said about osteopathic-style manipulations.  People often get drastic short term relief of symptoms/pain and that's a good thing.  Unfortunately (good) studies have repeatedly shown the effects are short lived.  

But unfortunately chiropractors are often licensed WAY beyond their training, and allowed to do school physicals/CDL physicals, etc.  Sorry, but ya can't manage HTN or HOCM with a spinal manipulation.  Also, MANY of them practice advanced shamanism by "prescribing" herbs & supplements (which are then sold in the same waiting room of their clinic) that do nothing but lighten their patient's wallet.

Good chiropractors will say "get on the table", do their manipulations, and ya feel better.

Bad chiropractors start off the conversation with "we will get a series of X-rays", which leads to "You have subluxation of....", followed by "it will take 17 treatments"  (because their studies that 17 treatments is the best number of treatments to suggest to keep the patient's coming back), and ending with "You should buy x, y, and z supplements to help with your metabolism."

There are some good ones, there are too many bad ones.

Yeah this guy was on the line, in a lot of ways...i think (if memory serves) he had a masters in nutrition and he would tell you like what foods to eat, but he didn't sell supplements or anything.  I personally think he's printing money over there.  

I share the view on chiropractors.  There are structural issues that can be addressed - and mine have been for over 15 years, about once a month or less - but people who want to cure allergies or cancer or DM or Autism or whatever - off with their heads, seriously.  

The PA I was replacing was straight up retiring and pulled no punches.  He says, and the patients confirm, that if you have these knots or trigger points, you inject them and they relax and that helps.  It's basic and makes sense.

But in the end, as stated, more or less a career derailer.  There's a time and place for that, and I'm better off with other options, I think.  Thanks ya'll

On 9/16/2017 at 0:21 PM, Boatswain2PA said:

The theory behind chiropractology is shamanism.  

There is certainly something to be said about osteopathic-style manipulations.  People often get drastic short term relief of symptoms/pain and that's a good thing.  Unfortunately (good) studies have repeatedly shown the effects are short lived.  

But unfortunately chiropractors are often licensed WAY beyond their training, and allowed to do school physicals/CDL physicals, etc.  Sorry, but ya can't manage HTN or HOCM with a spinal manipulation.  Also, MANY of them practice advanced shamanism by "prescribing" herbs & supplements (which are then sold in the same waiting room of their clinic) that do nothing but lighten their patient's wallet.

Good chiropractors will say "get on the table", do their manipulations, and ya feel better.

Bad chiropractors start off the conversation with "we will get a series of X-rays", which leads to "You have subluxation of....", followed by "it will take 17 treatments"  (because their studies that 17 treatments is the best number of treatments to suggest to keep the patient's coming back), and ending with "You should buy x, y, and z supplements to help with your metabolism."

There are some good ones, there are too many bad ones.

I agree about get on the table and help. I do not like anyone that sells supplements in their office as that is a true red flag. 

Archived