How to manage timing of acceptances?

Hi all,

I'm currently in the interview process, and I'm somewhat confused about how to manage acceptances (should they come...). My first interview is in a week, the next one is in 2 weeks, and a top choice program, which I haven't heard back from yet, doesn't start interviews until late-October. (Still waiting to hear from a few more programs, too.)

So, do prospective PA students in this position just make deposits as necessary to hold places in programs they're interested in as acceptances come in, if they're still waiting to hear back from their first or second choices? Is it really disrespectful to accept an offer from a program, make the deposit, and then change your mind, or is this just an expected part of the process? If I'm offered an October interview for that top choice program, I could theoretically end up paying deposits to 3 separate programs, which seems absurd... Granted, the chances I'd actually get 3 acceptances are probably low, but even 2 would be tricky.

What am I missing? 

Thank you :)

Hi! First off, congrats on the interviews, that is a big accomplishment in itself! After reading and discussing with current applicants and students--I have found that it is quite the norm to put down a deposit at all acceptances. Hence why a waitlist is vital to any program. My personal advice is to put down the deposit unless that program was an absolute misfit for you and you would be unhappy attending. It can be quite expensive, but well worth it in the long run! Congrats and enjoy the process! 

13 minutes ago, leb64 said:

So, do prospective PA students in this position just make deposits as necessary to hold places in programs they're interested in as acceptances come in, if they're still waiting to hear back from their first or second choices?

Basically yeah this is what students do. Most likely if you get accepted to the first program you interview at, you will want to put down a deposit. This guarantees a spot so that no matter what happens, you will be on the road to becoming a PA. It only takes one school to get there. Then as you continue with interviews, you can be more picky to where you want to put some money down.

Most schools will have a deadline for when the deposit is due after notifying of acceptance. This might give you some wiggle room while you wait for other program responses. If school A gives you three weeks but you are still waiting on school B, wait until nearly the end of the three weeks to see if school B gets back to you. Make sense? If school B also accepts you, then you have more decisions to make before school B's deposit is due. You will be able to gauge things better after you actually attend those interviews and they will tell the group when to start expecting results back after the interview. Some schools are very quick to decide, other schools may take months.

Be smart about how you put down the deposits since it gets pricey fast but try to realize that this is part of the application costs and expense of the process. It depends on the school, but if you put down a deposit at a program that you end up attending, they may apply that towards your first semester tuition so it isn't as bad when put that way.

And no it isn't considered rude at all to decline your spot after giving a deposit. This is very normal and common with applicants. This is why the waitlists for programs can shift drastically.

This is a good problem to have :) Congrats!

36 minutes ago, breezy said:

Hi! First off, congrats on the interviews, that is a big accomplishment in itself! After reading and discussing with current applicants and students--I have found that it is quite the norm to put down a deposit at all acceptances. Hence why a waitlist is vital to any program. My personal advice is to put down the deposit unless that program was an absolute misfit for you and you would be unhappy attending. It can be quite expensive, but well worth it in the long run! Congrats and enjoy the process! 

21 minutes ago, pastudentw said:

Basically yeah this is what students do. Most likely if you get accepted to the first program you interview at, you will want to put down a deposit. This guarantees a spot so that no matter what happens, you will be on the road to becoming a PA. It only takes one school to get there. Then as you continue with interviews, you can be more picky to where you want to put some money down.

Most schools will have a deadline for when the deposit is due after notifying of acceptance. This might give you some wiggle room while you wait for other program responses. If school A gives you three weeks but you are still waiting on school B, wait until nearly the end of the three weeks to see if school B gets back to you. Make sense? If school B also accepts you, then you have more decisions to make before school B's deposit is due. You will be able to gauge things better after you actually attend those interviews and they will tell the group when to start expecting results back after the interview. Some schools are very quick to decide, other schools may take months.

Be smart about how you put down the deposits since it gets pricey fast but try to realize that this is part of the application costs and expense of the process. It depends on the school, but if you put down a deposit at a program that you end up attending, they may apply that towards your first semester tuition so it isn't as bad when put that way.

And no it isn't considered rude at all to decline your spot after giving a deposit. This is very normal and common with applicants. This is why the waitlists for programs can shift drastically.

This is a good problem to have :) Congrats!

Thank you both for the reassurance. I guess I was thinking that a deposit implies a greater commitment than it does. Good to know! 

• 1 month later...

I was accepted to two programs and went on my interview with the third. I ended up choosing to go to school there and have never regretted it (other than some lost deposits elsewhere.)

Maybe you're sure where you want to go but somethings life can give you an unexpected and happy surprise.

Archived