interested in applying to Western PA Program

Hello Everyone,

First of all, I have a question ... I have recently been accepted to WesternU and Midwestern University, and I am torn. If anyone has advice on which school would provide a better education, please let me know! I know that US World News and Report has ranked Midwestern substantially higher, but I would appreciate more insight if anyone can help. Thanks!

And to answer your question, Rosemary ...

I would suggest making yourself known at Western University over the next few years if you are serious about getting in. Take a tour, go to info sessions, and sit in on classes...everything you participate in on campus gets put in your file, and it will show the interview committee that you are serious about becoming a pa, and serious about attending Western. I would also suggest that you get involved in some kind of community service, and join CAPA or AAPA (and read their newsletters!). They want to know that you are committed to the medically underserved and that you know what issues are facing the profession -- they will want you to talk about both in the interview. If you call the director, Roy Guizado, he will talk to you and let you know what areas you need work on.

This made me feel better in reserving a spot for the preview session coming up, because I live texas and couldn't jusitifty the flight to there.

Now that I've heard other people's experiences, I doubt I can get into any school. My undergrad grades 20+ years ago were awful. Post-bach my last 60 credits in science and math are 3.98 but it doesn't bring my GPA to even 2.8. I was even inducted into Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society last week because of my GPA. I wish PA schools would weigh what I have done recently. I've worked very hard for the last 3 years including working in an ER 3yrs and community service 15 years. 33 credits prior to that I had 3.9 GPA in my master's degree (Non science). I had rejection letters this year but I will apply one more round and call it quits. 

I applied to a master's entry nursing program this year. They look at the last 60 units including the pre-requisites... 15 month prog $40-45K.  People mature, evolve and redeem themselves. Why couldn't PA schools look at that too?

Now that I've heard other people's experiences, I doubt I can get into any school. My undergrad grades 20+ years ago were awful. Post-bach my last 60 credits in science and math are 3.98 but it doesn't bring my GPA to even 2.8. I was even inducted into Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society last week because of my GPA. I wish PA schools would weigh what I have done recently. I've worked very hard for the last 3 years including working in an ER 3yrs and community service 15 years. 33 credits prior to that I had 3.9 GPA in my master's degree (Non science). I had rejection letters this year but I will apply one more round and call it quits. 

I applied to a master's entry nursing program this year. They look at the last 60 units including the pre-requisites... 15 month prog $40-45K.  People mature, evolve and redeem themselves. Why couldn't PA schools look at that too?

I hope you know that Western does take the better grade if you retake a course that you did horribly on.  There's a "repeated course workform" that you send in, which they then recalculate your GPA with just the repeated course.  Perseverance is key.  Good luck, and do not give up!

Archived