Physician Assistant / Officer / Age

Would like information on this topic.

I served 4 years Active Duty in the Air Force and currently serving around 3 years Reserves.  Right now I'm weighing any options to become an Officer as I am going to make a career out of the Air Force.

I have a Mechanical Engineering degree, but since I'm 39, this disqualifies me from becoming an officer from what I've gathered thus far.  I've been informed that 35 is the limit, and up to 38 for age waivers.  My prior service will not be taken into account for this from what I've learned.

I'm actually making a career change and pursuing to become a Physician Assistant and have been told that medical ages are different.  My reason for becoming a Physician Assistant is not directly tied to becoming an Officer, but if becoming a Physician Assistant gives me this opportunity then I will look into this military career path.

The option of going through the IPAP route, I would have to be commissioned before 42, correct?  I turn 40 in Feb so if I was accepted, I wouldn't graduate before 42 years of age from my calculations with the IPAP route and I'm unaware of any waivers.  

Therefore, I'm going the civilian route, and if everything goes according to schedule I would start next year and finish in 2019, which I would have turned 42 while having possibly 4 to 5 months left before I graduate from a civilian PA program.  If by this civilian route, is it possible to become an Air Force Officer with my proposed age at that time (2019) being 42 or 43 at the latest?

On the Air Force site, it states Health Administration Officer has an age limit of 41, which I would be interested in, but I'm not aware of my Mechanical Engineering degree along with the pre-pa prerequisites I've already completed (A&P, Orgo Chem, Chem, Med Term, Micro, Statistics, etc...) along with currently being a finance comptroller would be considered as a possible candidate for this Officer position.

I do know from talking with an Army Recruiter that I could have a package submitted with an age waiver for their Health Administration Officer position with my current credentials I've laid out above (39yrs old, 4 years prior service, 2 year Reserves, Mechanical Engineering Degree).  

I've heard as many of you have of waivers "for everything" but if there are no options available to me to become an Air Force Officer because of my age currently (39) and in the future (42,43), then I may consider becoming an Army Officer.   I would like to stay Air Force and become an Officer, but it's been difficult acquiring specifics on any options I may have with the branch I've appreciated being a part of.

Thanks for taking the time to read my background and question.  I would greatly appreciate any help regarding this.  God Bless!

Archived